Application Deadline: March 1st 2017.
WAN-IFRA in partnership with Sida is pleased to announce the launch of nominations for the Women in News Editorial Leadership Award. The award recognises an exemplary contribution of an Editor to her newsroom and under her leadership, the contribution of her newspaper to society. Two women in 2017 will be recognised as leaders, one being from sub-Saharan Africa and one from the Middle East and North Africa region.
Inaugural recipient, Toyosi Ogunseye, the first female editor in the more than 40 year history of the Punch Newspaper, Nigeria, said
“Winning the award has given me the platform to meet, speak to and network with African media leaders on the need to give equal opportunities to female journalists while also making newsrooms gender friendly for them to thrive”.
Eligible nominees in 2017 must:
- Be based in the sub-Saharan region of Africa or the Middle East and North African region.
- Hold a senior editorial role as of I January 2017.
- Work in a news media role (newspapers, magazines and digital-only).
- The media house can be any size from across the regions.
The Women in News Editorial Leadership Award will be awarded to two outstanding woman editors who are first amongst their peers in inspiring and paving the way forward for the next generation of leaders.
The Winners will possess a proven track record of success within her newsroom, have demonstrated uncompromising editorial integrity throughout her career, and have a strong commitment to the principles of press freedom and its power to promote democracy and good governance.
- The 2017 recipients of the Women in News Leadership Award will be honoured during the WAN-IFRA News Media Congress in Durban, 7-9 June 2017.
- The Winner will receive an all expenses paid trip to attend theWorld News Media Congress 2017, the premier global annual meeting of the world’s press.
- Completed applications must be received no later than 1 March 2017.
- You can nominate yourself, or be nominated by someone else. Please download the application form attached and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Download Application Form:
For More Information: