Application Deadline: Wednesday 12 September 2018 (17.00 UK Time)
This new programme is supported under the UK Government’s National Productivity Investment Fund. It aims to demonstrate and further enhance the UK’s commitment to international research partnerships and collaboration as well as strengthen the UK’s research capacity and capability in the humanities and the social sciences.
Up to 10 Global Professorships each year will be offered during the course of the programme (which will run for three years in the first instance). Each award will provide funding for four years to an outstanding international researcher, not currently working in the United Kingdom, to bring their research experience to the UK. The purpose of the Global Professorships is to enable world-class scholars to further their individual research goals while strengthening the UK research base and advancing the research goals and strategies of their UK host universities.
Each four-year appointment is intended to be a complete project in itself and is expected to involve a specific research focus, although the British Academy does not have a preferred model for the balance of time to be spent between research and teaching (which may vary over the course of the award and will depend on the UK host institution’s needs).
- Suitable candidates for the Global Professorships include internationally-recognised mid-career to senior researchers active in any field within the social sciences or the humanities who are currently employed outside the UK.
- The applicant must either be in a permanent (full-time or part-time) position at their home institution overseas or have a fixed-term position for the duration of the Global Professorship.
- Applicants must be available to take up a long-term secondment or employment at an eligible UK university or research institution.
- Awards are expected to run for four years each.
- The British Academy will provide up to £250,000 per annum for the first three years, making a total contribution of £750,000 per award.
- The costs of the fourth year will be expected to be committed in full by the UK host institution.
- Successful applicants to the 2018 competition will be required to start their awards between 1 December 2018 and 31 May 2019.
- Applications must be submitted online using the British Academy’s Grant Management System, Flexi-Grant®
- Application Deadline: Wednesday 12 September 2018 (17.00 UK Time)
- UK Host Institution Approval Deadline: Thursday 13 September 2018 (17.00 UK Time)
Please contact [email protected] or call 020 7969 5220 for further information.
For More Information: