IDEO.org is a nonprofit design and innovation organization focused on solving challenges in poverty and spreading human-centered design through the social sector.
The IDEO.org Fellowship Program enables future global leaders from the design, business, and social sectors to spend one year working with experienced IDEO designers on social impact challenges.
Over a 13-month period, Fellows will create solutions for nonprofits, social enterprises, and foundations on an array of topics, such as agriculture, water and sanitation, health, financial services, education, and more. Fellowships are based in San Francisco, California. Frequent travel and getting your hands dirty in the field are required.
Why Do the Fellowship?
- To gain expertise in design thinking.
- To learn to apply human-centered design to the challenges of poverty.
- To get the chance to work alongside world class designers in a world class nonprofit.
- To connect with individuals and communities firsthand.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional full-time work experience, or a graduate degree plus 3 years of work experience.
- English fluency (written and spoken). Additional language capabilities are preferred.
- Ability to legally work in the U.S. for one year (IDEO.org can help with the visa application process).
How to Apply?
- CV or Resume.
- Cover letter: tell us why you and IDEO.org are made for each other.
- Visual story: create a visual story about something more you’d like us to know about yourself. Use photos, video, drawing, or whatever visual medium seems most appropriate for you. We are really interested in your creativity, but also want to see how well you can tell your story SUCCINCTLY.
- Essay: 500 words (or less) telling us about an experience you’ve had with a culture other than your own that changed your perspective in some way. Different cultural experiences are up to you to define.
- Participate on HCDConnect.org: share your stories, answer other participants’ questions, or post your own. We want to see how you can engage our online community and encourage others to share their stories.
- One letter of recommendation: from a professional or academic contact. What do other people think of your potential to do great things as an IDEO.org Fellow?
Where Do I Send My Application Materials?