Application Deadline: March 31st 2018
The University of Ghana, Legon, is pleased to invite applications for the position of Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies, to begin August 1, 2018.
The Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies was established at the Institute of African Studies, University of Ghana in honour of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, Pan African luminary and Ghana’s first president, for his contributions to the intellectual life of the African World, and for his projection of Africa on the world stage.
he successful Applicant will be a scholar or public figure who has a strong understanding of African/Africana/pan-African Studies, has a strong research and publishing record, and has attained distinction in his or her discipline. He or she may also be a public intellectual or artist well versed in the indigenous knowledge and cultures of Africa.
Applicants should be committed to pursuing their own research agendas, collaborating and sharing their expertise with other researchers, and developing interdisciplinary exchanges. Specifically, the Chair will be expected to:
- Deliver public lectures, including an inaugural lecture, which will be published by the University;
- Conduct research and/or create and establish a social or cultural project;
- Produce a publishable manuscript on the research emanating from the tenure, where appropriate;
- Prepare a report detailing the results achieved at the end of the tenure period;
- Assist the University to raise resources to grow the endowment for the Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies;
- Assist in publicizing, and participate in the Biennial Kwame Nkrumah Intellectual and Cultural Festival.
Appointments will typically be for one academic year (August 1- July 31) but with the possibility of extension for a second year.
Salary will depend on the qualifications and experience of the successful applicant but will typically be at the level of Professor (disclosure upon short listing). The Chair will also be provided with:
- Return business class ticket or equivalent from his/her location to Accra.
- Airport pick up.
- Office accommodation including a computer, printer, internet access and necessary office materials.
- A Research Assistant and/or other support staff.
- Accommodation and medical insurance.
- A research grant.
Mode of Application
Applicants should submit the following to the Secretary to the Search Party, Attention the Registrar, P. O. Box LG 25, Legon, and by email to: [email protected]:
- a cover letter expressing interest,
- a curriculum vitae,
- a proposal for the programme of work to be carried out during the period of the tenure (max 5 pages),and arrange to have three letters of reference sent directly to the Registrar.
Application forms (UAB form 1A) can be found at www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd
Only short listed candidates will be contacted, and they may be invited for a face-to-face interview. The successful candidate will be informed by June, 2018.
For More Information: