Application Deadline: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 5:00pm EST (GMT–5)
The Voices of Courage Awards are presented annually to resilient, resourceful women who have a personal and powerful story to tell about the challenges and triumphs experienced by the tens of millions of people who have been displaced by conflict and violence worldwide.
Voices of Courage Awardees represent the many faces and circumstances of the current global refugee population.
There are two categories, with one honoree selected from each:
1. A current or former refugee, a woman who has demonstrated leadership and a strong voice to support refugee women, children or youth wherever they reside. She may be currently or previously displaced, and she may be seeking or have been granted asylum.
2. A local civil society leader, a woman who has developed or implemented successful programs that serve displaced women, children or youth and who can speak to the impact of the Women’s Refugee Commission. This application is for refugee women leaders. To nominate a civil society leader, please apply here: http://wrc.ms/voc-civil-society
- Activities will culminate at WRC’s Voices of Courage Awards Luncheon in New York City on April 21, 2016, where awardees will be honored.
- Awardees receive grants of US $5,000 for their programs.
Travel Time & Expenses
- All nominees must be able to travel to New York and stay for a week in April 2016 to accept the award.
- The Women’s Refugee Commission will cover all travel and lodging expenses for the honorees selected.
- An independent selection jury comprised of U.S. business leaders, philanthropists and humanitarian aid experts will select the two final awardees from this pool.
- All nominees are judged equally and all decisions of the jury are final.
- Recipients will be notified the week of January 25, 2016.
- Candidates must be willing to participate in media interviews from the time of awardee selection through the Luncheon on April 21, 2016.
- This is considered a working week in the United States and recipients must be present for events in New York to receive their grants.
- Recipients are expected to travel to the United States unaccompanied. Public speaking training will be provided.
For More Information: