Application Deadline: July 21, 2017 by 1700 EDT.
Formed in 2007 by Internews’ Earth Journalism Network (EJN), Panos London and the International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED), the CCMP has brought developing country journalists to the annual UN climate summits since 2007. This has enabled them to cover the summit for their home media organizations, work with experienced and knowledgeable journalists from around the world, and gain a multifaceted understanding of climate change’s global impact. Numerous regional organizations also play a supporting role in the partnership. This year’s Fellowship program will be a partnership between EJN and the Stanley Foundation.
During COP 23, the Fellows will engage with fellow participants and EJN staff in a series of specially designed activities, including an orientation session, daily breakfast briefings, and possibly a field trip.
To be eligible for this Fellowship, applicants must:
- Be a professional journalist from or representing an established media house;
- Fill out the application form using the link below, including answering essay questions that illustrate his/her experience reporting on climate change issues and the kinds of stories you might pursue at the conference;
- Be available to travel to Bonn, Germany with arrival on Nov 10th and departure on Nov 18th;
- Commit to participate in all Fellowship activities;
- Provide a letter of support from an editor, producer or supervisor who can confirm your ability to publish or broadcast your material in an established media organization. Freelancers are welcome to apply, but must provide a letter of support.
Criteria for evaluating applicants will include the prospective Fellow’s demonstrated experience covering climate change and other environmental topics, their interest in continued coverage of these issues, and their audience and outlet reach.
As part of the application process, journalists will be asked to submit examples of their work. These can be uploaded as pasted text or links; stories can be sent in a native language as long as they are accompanied by a short English synopsis. A good command of English, however, will be needed to answer the essay questions and will also be important to participate in Fellowship activities.
- As part of the Fellowships, the CCMP will cover travel, lodging, and several group meals, and will reimburse for other meal and transport expenses, will help with the press accreditation process, and provide other support services.
- Please note that the process of obtaining a visa is a Fellow’s responsibility; however, visa costs can be reimbursed.
The CCMP fully respects the editorial independence of all journalists. Throughout the conference, Fellows are free to report as they see fit. As well as the requirements above, we ask that journalists agree to cross-post all stories they file during COP 23 on the Earth Journalism Network website.
HOW TO APPLY:
To submit an application, please sign up for an EJN account by clicking on the “Create an Account” button below.
When you submit this registration form, you will receive an e-mail containing a link that directs you to set your password (if you don’t find the e-mail in your Inbox, please check your spam folder). Once you have set a password, you can log in to your account to submit an application.
For More Information: