Application Deadline: 31 August 2018
In 2014 the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) initiated the programme “Postdoctoral Researchers International Mobility Experience” (PRIME) to support the international mobility of postdoctoral researchers by temporary positions at German universities in place of conventional scholarships.
The programme has been funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the European Union (EU/FP7/Marie Curie Actions/COFUND). Funding is provided for 18 months, in which 12 months have to be spent abroad and 6 months (re-integration phase) at a German university. The re-integration phase is mandatory. The German university administrates the salary during the whole funding period.
After completing three PRIME application/selection cycles, DAAD has commissioned an intermediate programme evaluation in December 2016. The evaluators’ final report has been adopted by the DAAD Directorate in July 2017.
- Applicants must have completed their PhD before starting the fellowship;
- Applicants must comply with the programme’s mobility rule, i.e. they are free to choose any country (except Germany) as destination for their research stay abroad, provided they have not resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in that country for more than 12 months in total during the three years preceding the application deadline of 31 August 2018.
- Time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention is not taken into account;
- Applicants who are already permanently employed by the research milieu where the research training activities are planned to take place and that is recruiting them may not be supported;
- Applicants must accept that the research stay abroad and the return phase to Germany are both mandatory parts of the programme
- The support is provided for 18 months, of which the first 12 months have to be spent abroad and the remaining six months in Germany (reintegration phase). Support Funding is provided through an 18-month temporary job position at the selected German university. The position will be remunerated according to the appropriate rate for postdoctoral researchers (according to the German pay scale“ TV-L E13”).
- The specific level within the salary group “TV-L E 13” will be determined by the employing universities on the basis of the previous work experience of the fellows. DAAD will provide the respective universities with a grant agreement to cover the costs for the regular salary and an additional monthly expatriate allowance for the research stay abroad.
- An additional lump sum travel allowance in accordance with DAAD rates for the selected candidate and, if applicable, accompanying spouse or partner (with in the meaning of the German law on civil partnerships ) and children will be paid directly by DAAD.
- Successful applicants will be invited to an orientation seminar before the start of the fellowship, together with current fellows, alumni and representatives of other funding institutions and possibly other researchers from science and business.
- Application deadline: 31 August 2018
- Selection: February 2019
- Earliest starting date: 1 April 2019
The application form will be available at the application portal. To get to the portal please click on Stipendiendatenbank für Deutsche, fill in Fachrichtung (subject of your research), Zielland (country of the period abroad) and Status “Promovierte” (position), and select the programme.
Please mind the instructions on registering on the portal, choose English as portal language, activate, if necessary, the compatibility view of your browser and choose English as browser language. After registration in the portal, please click on the tab “personal funding“.
For More Information