Application Deadline: December 1st 2016
This scholarship programme aims to help students and graduates improve their knowledge of German (general language, special language) and their cultural knowledge of the country.
This program provides scholarships to attend a broad range of three- to four-week summer courses at German universities which focus mainly on German language and literary, cultural, political and economic aspects of modern and contemporary Germany. Extensive extracurricular programs complement and reinforce the core material.
A number of the University Summer Course Grants are made possible by the DAAD Alumni Association of the US, including one that is specially earmarked for an applicant in the fine arts.
- Applications are open to students in Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes in any subject area.
- Bachelor students must have completed at least two academic years at the start of the scholarship period.
- Neither graduates holding a Master’s degree nor PhD students are eligible for this programme.
Duration of the funding
- The courses run for at least 18 teaching days (max. 5 days/week, excluding days of arrival and departure) with a minimum of 25 hours of teaching a week.
- The grants are non-renewable.
- The courses usually take place in the period from June to December.
- One-off scholarship payment of 850 euros; participants from the countries defined by the “OECD-DAC-List” (Least Developed Countries) receive a scholarship of 1,025 euros.
- Payment of a country-specific travel allowance (exception: Western Europe), see: travel allowance)
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Please note: Course fees and accommodation expenses are usually deducted directly from scholarship payments by the language course provider so that the grant holder is possibly paid only the difference to the full amount of the scholarship by the course provider.
- A selection committee reviews applications
- The most important selection criteria are:
– previous academic achievements
– convincing arguments for choice of study programme and subject
– knowledge of German
1. Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (in German)
- Letter of motivation (in German)
- Copy of university degree certificate with final grade(s), if available (with German or English translation)
- Proof of credits of the last two years (in German or in English)
- Language certificates
2. To be submitted by post
- The “Application summary”, which is generated in the portal in PDF format and which can be printed out after the online application procedure is completed; please send 2 copy/copies to the application address
- A recent reference from a university teacher which provides information about your qualifications; please enclose one copy of the reference in a sealed envelope with each copy of your application. Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application“.
For More Information: