Application Deadline: January 24, 2020.
DW’s traineeship is one of the most prestigious journalism training programs in Europe, giving young journalists from all over the world the chance to learn all the skills needed to work successfully as a multimedia reporter and editor.
DW is looking for young people from all over the world interested in a comprehensive, exceptional quality journalism program with an international broadcaster. Candidates should have journalism experience or be passionate about switching to journalism from law, economics, the sciences or technology/IT. We are looking for open-minded people full of creative ideas. Specifically, we are looking for experts from diverse disciplines. You should also be able to think independently and develop own ideas.
Deutsche Welle (DW) is Germany’s international broadcaster producing multimedia in-depth content in 30 languages worldwide. DW is complemented by DW Akademie which promotes the human right to freedom of expression and access to information in approximately 50 developing and transition countries. As a German public broadcaster, DW is proud of its varied and quality journalism content and which provides space for a wide-range of voices and contributes to media diversity.
The program covers the range of skills a journalist of the future needs: TV moderation, multimedia storytelling, data journalism, social media and virtual reality – in seminars, workshops and of course the DW editorial offices and our correspondent bureaux in Washington, Moscow and Brussels. DW trainees are involved in long-term innovative, international projects and have been honored in past years with the CNN Journalism Award and the Grimme Prize. After the traineeship, the trainees usually continue to work for DW.
For the bilingual DW traineeship we are looking for:
- Native speakers of a DW program language with excellent knowledge English and a good knowledge of German
- English native speakers with a good knowledge of German
- German native speakers with excellent knowledge of English
- native speaker of one of DW’s languages with excellent English and good German language skills, or native English speaker with good German language skills, or native German speaker with excellent English language skills
- completed university degree, college degree or apprenticeship
(especially with a background in technology/IT, science, politics, economics or law)
- initial journalistic experience
- creative mind
- social media expertise
- ability to work under deadlines independently and as part of a team
The DW Traineeship offers
- acquisition of journalism skills
- seminars on all relevant journalism topics, conducted by renowned trainers
- placements with various DW editorial departments in Bonn and Berlin as well as in one of our foreign bureaus in Brussels, Washington or Moscow
- introduction to producing your own content for TV, radio or online formats, from generating ideas to technical production
- placements in Germany, Europe and worldwide
- technical know-how for TV, radio and online
- Trainee’s salary
- after traineeship completion, prospect of ongoing contract working for DW worldwide
Candidates must also have completed a university or college degree or apprenticeship.
For More Information: