Application Deadline: November 30th, 2017.
The Africa Industrial Internet Programme, a year-long programme, has been developed to address the demand for a digital-savvy workforce in the increasingly data-ridden industrial organisations. Developed by ALU and powered by GE, the programme empowers participants to develop the requisite skills for building applications for the Industrial Internet.
The AIIP will achieve this through offering modules in machine learning and big data analytics, Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) and cloud-based application development to individuals and professionals interested in preparing for the Industrial Internet. The program which begins in January 2018, reemphasizes GE’s position as the world’s premier digital industrial company.
In an increasingly connected industrial ecosystem, a staggering amount of data is being generated every moment. Commonly termed ‘Industrial Internet’, it involves connecting software, industrial applications and intelligent analytics to businesses, enabling unprecedented gains in productivity and innovation from these massive datasets. Leveraged effectively, this paradigm shift in industrial thinking will allow African companies to leapfrog competition and establish the continent as an industrial powerhouse. However, this requires a new generation of talent with a strong technical foundation in big-data analytics, machine learning and web application development, as well as the business acumen to translate technological improvements into business results.
- Python Coding and Statistics refresher
- Data Analytics and Visualisation
- Machine Learning
- Big Data and Cloud Computing
- Innovation and Intrapreneurship
- Cloud Application Development
- Digital for Industries
Participants are required to:
Have a quantitative background(engineering, mathematics/statistics) or IT/ computing background
Other desired attributes include:
- Being recent graduates or professionals in the following industries: Oil and Gas, Power generation and distribution, Manufacturing, Transportation
- Basic business acumen particularly in engaging clients
- Familiarity with Python coding
- Strong analytical and statistical reasoning skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- AIIP is for individuals looking to pioneer innovations in the industrial internet, enhance their skills and advance their careers by learning how to take full advantage of industrial big data to influence the bottom line of their business.
There is no minimum academic grade required. Your academic credentials is one of several components which will be considered in reviewing your application.
- The programme is expecting to enroll 80 participants.
- The in-person intensives will be held at GE Africa Innovation Centre in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- The AIIP is designed to enable professionals to seamlessly continue working as they learn. For this reason, most of the learning content is delivered online through a personalized self-paced approach coupled with engaging 3-5 day in-person intensives to consolidate learning.
- The AIIP is designed using a project-based approach where participants get to apply their learning in real world contexts. There will be regular assessments in each module culminating with a final project where participants will be tasked with applying their learning to solve an existing problem either in their business or in a partner organization’s business operations.
- The AIIP employs a blended learning model to participants with a mix of online learning and periodic 3-5 day in-person intensives to be held at the GE Africa Innovation Centre in Johannesburg. This approach provides flexibility to participants enabling them to learn from industry experts, and at the same time, immediately apply what they learn in the program in their daily jobs.
- The program includes hands-on training on artificial intelligence and machine learning with ALU’s unique entrepreneurial leadership program to prepare professionals for leadership roles entrepreneurial, technology driven work environments.
- Participants will work with best-in-class technology including GE’s pioneer platform for the Industrial Internet – Predix to build applications that can solve complex problems for industrial companies. Participants will be taught by industry practitioners who bring in years of experience in their fields.
- The AIIP is a post-graduate certificate programme that will be accredited in South Africa.
- GE is offering a limited number of scholarships covering full tuition to deserving candidates for the Africa Industrial Internet Programme.
- The scholarships will be awarded to the most-deserving candidates on a first-come first-served basis.
For More Information: