Application Deadline: Monday, 10 September, 5pm EST
The Women & Gender Constituency invites you to participate in the 2018 Gender Just Climate Solutions Awards!
The Women and Gender Constituency (WGC) is one of the nine stakeholder groups of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). Established in 2009, the WGC now consists of 20 women’s and environmental civil society organizations, who are working to ensure that women’s voices and their rights are embedded in all processes and results of the UNFCCC framework, for a sustainable and just future, so that gender equality and women’s human rights are central to the ongoing discussions.
In 2015, the WGC launched it’s first ‘Gender-Just Climate Solutions’ Awards. These awards aim to showcase real solutions for a more just, equal and healthy planet. Previous initiatives recognized have included women-owned and operated energy cooperatives in Germany, female entrepreneurial “energy shop” initiatives in Mozambique, and human rights based relocation planning in the Carteret Islands.
Winning initiatives are showcased across three categories, please review our previous award winners for examples:
- Technical climate solutions with a women or gender perspective (e.g. in area of renewables, energy or adaptation technologies etc.)
- Non-technical climate solutions with a women or gender perspective (e.g. in area of efficiency, consumption changes, resilience and capacity building etc.)
- Transformational climate initiatives with a women or gender perspective (e.g. addressing governance, institutional / societal change etc.)
- Initiatives will be weighted against the following criteria aimed to measure contributions to gender equality, resilience and sustainability.
- Winning projects will ideally work across all of the key result areas, though the organizers note that not all projects will be in a position / stage to meet each and every criteria. Due to existing inequalities and a lack of available resources globally, priority will be given to women-led initiatives, recognizing that programmes do not necessarily need to be women-led to be gender just.
Selection & Award:
Initiatives will be reviewed by an international jury with members of the Women and Gender Constituency. Two tiers of ‘Winners’ will be selected:
- Three top ‘Award Winners’ will be identified, one per category. These three winners will each receive a Seed Grant of 2000 Euros; travel for one representative to attend the Awards Ceremony held at COP24 in Katowice, Poland this December 2018; and 1-year of mentorship activities from the members of the Women and Gender Constituency (see here for details).
- The ‘Award Winners’ are invited to a capacity building workshop during COP24 with the previous award winners of the Gender Just Climate Solutions 2015-2017. The workshop is organized together with Climate Technology Centre & Network (CTCN) and it includes training to up-scale their solutions, share their experience and expertise with each other, as well as to network.
- Up to 30 additional ‘Runners-Up’ will be featured in a full color-publication which will be showcased in a high-level international awards ceremony at COP24, as well as be highlighted on the WGC website.
Applications Close: Monday, 10 September, 5pm EST
Apply for the Award in FRENCH: https://www.judgify.me/genderjustclimatesolutionsFR2018
Apply for the Award in SPANISH: https://www.judgify.me/genderjustclimatesolutionsSPA2018
For More Information: