Application Deadline: July 31, 2021
The German Bundestag invites committed university graduates from South Africa, Botswana and Namibia to a scholarship program in Berlin in January 2022.
Since 2020, the German Bundestag has been offering a scholarship program for politically committed young university graduates from South Africa, Namibia and Botswana who are interested in the German parliamentary system and who actively support basic democratic values in their home countries.
In a four-week compact program, eight fellows can get to know the German parliamentary system and political decision-making processes in the German Bundestag up close.
The program will take place in Berlin from January 1st to 31st, 2022. The core of the program is a one-week internship in the office of a member of the German Bundestag.
The focus is also on events on the German parliamentary system as well as lectures, workshops and seminars, among other things, on parliamentary democracy, the way parliament works and its function. In addition, the topics of plural society, protection of minorities and culture of remembrance are conveyed as a political mandate. A workshop on project management is intended to help develop your own project ideas with the aim of promoting democracy and civil society in the respective countries of origin.
The participants receive a grant of 500 euros. In addition, the costs for health, accident and liability insurance are covered. In addition, free accommodation is granted in a residential complex (two-person shared apartment). The costs of travel to and from Berlin will be reimbursed.
The scholarship program is aimed at committed, open-minded, resilient and politically interested young professionals from South Africa, Namibia and Botswana who want to actively and responsibly shape the democratic future of their countries.
Applicants are invited to a personal selection interview in the German embassies in the participating countries and are selected by an independent selection committee of the German Bundestag with regard to their professional, social, linguistic and intercultural skills.
The cost of traveling to the interview will be reimbursed on a pro-rata basis, provided the interviews are not held in your home country.
The admission requirements
- Citizenship of one of the three participating countries (dual citizenship possible)
- younger than 30 years at the beginning of the scholarship
- completed university degree
- very good knowledge of the German language
- Interest in political contexts as well as social / political engagement
Please send the complete online application documents in a PDF document, the file name of which consists of your surname and first name (ie “surname-first name”), by email to the German representation in your home country.
Your application should be sent in German and contain the following scanned documents:
- Passport photo (please insert on page 1 of the application form);
- Application form (on the Internet at: www.bundestag.de/ips_afrikanisch);
- Proof of very good German language skills
(at least level B 2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages);
- Letter of motivation (maximum two pages);
- Copy of passport or copy of ID;
- Officially certified copy of the degree certificate 1 ;
- a letter of recommendation in German or English (from a university professor or from the employer, in which the professional qualifications of the applicant for the program are assessed).
1 Copies are certified if an official body (German or foreign authority, embassy or consulate of the Federal Republic of Germany, university office, notary, officially sworn interpreter) confirms with an official seal and signature that the photocopy matches the original. If several photocopies are stapled together, each individual sheet must be certified. If the documents are not properly certified, the application cannot be processed.
Application deadline: July 31, 2021
Please send your online application to the German representation in your home country!
Parliamentary coordination is carried out by the group of rapporteurs for international exchange programs.
- Application form 2022
- Proof of language skills form
- Directory of participating countries – German missions abroad
- Information on the processing of personal data in accordance with Article 13 GDPR
For More Information: