Application Deadline: 11th July 2016
Notification date: 21st July 2016
Workshop Title: H3ABioNet / IBM Research Africa Hackathon on Malaria Drug Resistance for a DREAM challenge
Venue of workshop: Johannesburg, South Africa
Dates for the workshop: 5th September to 10th September 2016
Workshop organisers: Amel Ghouila, Jean-Baka Domelevo Entfellner, Geoffrey Siwo, Darlington Mapiye, Pavan Kumar, Waheeda Saaib, Michael Ferdig, Sage Davis, Katie Button, Faisal M. Fadlelmola, Sumir Panji, Nicola Mulder
Workshop Sponsors: H3ABioNet, IBM Research Africa and University of Notre Dame
H3ABioNet, the University of Notre Dame and IBM Research Africa are organizing a joint hackathon on a complex biomedical research question on antimalarial drug resistance to prepare preliminary datasets for a future open collaborative challenge on drug combination prediction.
- Participants should demonstrate confirmed expertise in one or several of the above-mentioned domains and that they will bring an added value in the data analysis process.
- This workshop is clearly results-oriented, and training during the workshop will be limited to topic-specific sessions to implement efficient cross-talking between the different subgroups of expertise that will make up the group of workshop participants. It is NOT designed to be a training course.
- Participants are expected to benefit from learning to integrate skills from statistics, computing and biology to seeking solutions to biological problems in a collaborative manner and within a limited span of time.
- The Organizers anticipate that participants will work openly with each other and will therefore have the chance to learn from each other and develop critical thinking and may develop close collaborations and that the experiences on collaboration and scientific insights obtained will be published at a later date with participants as authors.
- H3ABioNet will provide travel fellowships that cover travel and accommodation costs for selected participants.
- Once being successfully chosen for the workshop, participants will be contacted to complete an airline ticket booking form, a short biosketch with a recent picture and the H3ABioNet workshop policy.
**Please note, if a participant is unable to attend this workshop after acceptance, their place will be passed onto to applicants on the waiting list and not to other recommended members from their H3Africa programme.
- Successful applicants will be brought together to start group discussions prior to the workshop, to ensure that they familiarize themselves with the data at stake and with the collaborative work platform that will be used during the workshop, namely Sage Synapse.
- Pre-selected applicants might be invited by the organizing committee to take part in a Skype interview between the 25th and the 28th of July.
For More Information: