Application Deadline: January 12th, 2018
If you have the skills, passion and determination to be a journalist of the future – a trained professional who knows a good story and who has the talent and confidence to tell it in a way that best imparts its relevance and importance to news consumers – the Hearst Fellowship might be perfect for you.
This is the premier two-year newspaper fellowship in the country. The goal is to recruit, train and retain the best of the next generation of journalists – top-notch multi-media professionals with a broad range of skills.
The program consists of two 12-month rotations at our top metro papers and websites. Fellows are full-fledged journalists expected to make significant, valuable contributions in a variety of roles and platforms. There is no better place to start.
- You also are eligible if you have a journalism degree from a non-accredited program.
- Anyone who has completed coursework and obtained a college degree by August 1 following the application deadline is eligible. A bachelor’s degree is the minimum requirement.
- Canadians and other foreign nationals are eligible to apply. However, the program does not sponsor visas or pay for travel to the final judging from outside the U.S.
- You qualify for the program if you have (or can obtain independently, not based on acceptance into the program) a visa that would allow you to work for two years beginning in August.
- The Fellowship is a two-year program focusing on journalism in a changing digital world.
- The Fellowship program consists of two 12-month rotations at our top metro papers. Fellows will receive training, mentoring and real-world experience alongside top journalists who are using cutting-edge tools to tell stories through data, video, and more. Hearst
- Fellows are full-time employees with competitive salary and benefits, including health insurance and moving expenses.
- You may be offered a job at the end of the two-year program.
- Hearst Fellows are full-time employees of Hearst Newspapers with competitive salary and benefits, including vacation, health insurance and moving expenses. You must be able to move after one year. Fellows are responsible for their own housing.
In order to be considered you must attach all required documents in PDF format:
- One-page resume that includes academic major and minor, date or expected date of graduation, permanent and current addresses, email, website, and social media addresses
- One additional page that includes: three work/character references including titles, email addresses and phone numbers, and hot links to digital work samples
- Cover letter no longer than two pages highlighting your qualifications and making your case for becoming a Hearst Fellow
- Two letters of recommendation. These may be submitted with the package or emailed separately to email@example.com
For More Information: