Application Deadline: 30 November 2016
The aim of the Heinz-Kühn-Foundation is to support the training and professional development of junior journalists. The foundation awards scholarships to young journalists from North-Rhine-Westphalia for six-week or three-month reporting trips in developing countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
The foundation also provides funds to enable candidates from developing countries to gain professional journalism experience in North-Rhine-Westphalia for up to three months.
Heinz-Kühn-Foundation scholarships are intended to enable junior journalists to further their professional development and continue training in new surroundings, and to gain a first-hand and in-depth knowledge of the customs, opinions and way of life in other countries.
Young journalists from North-Rhine-Westphalia and developing countries are eligible for a scholarship if they satisfy the following requirements:
- have a keen interest in development issues;
- have already gained substantial professional experience in journalism (a completed college education is desirable);
- are not older than 35 years of age; and,
- have a good command of the official language of their host country (candidates from abroad must at least have a basic knowledge of the German language).
What does the scholarship include?
Scholarship holders get
- a lump-sum contribution towards living expenses in the host country (with scholarship payments covering training and living expenses in the host country);
- a lump-sum allowance for flight and travelling expenses (the foundation pays a return air ticket for candidates from abroad);
- an allowance to cover costs of research materials (e.g. literature);
- an allowance for trips within the host country; and,
- (if neccessary, for scholarship holders from abroad) a German language course of up to four months at the Düsseldorf or Bonn based Goethe-Institut.
In the lead up to the scholarship and throughout the duration of the scholarship, the Heinz-Kühn-Foundation will provide support.
How to Apply:
Journalists who meet the requirements for a scholarship should first contact the foundation to discuss possible host countries and their topics of interest.
Applications for the following year must be received by 30 November.
The foundation’s postal address is:
Ministerpräsidentin des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen
The following documents should be enclosed with the application:
- curriculum vitae in tabular form and a photograph;
- certificates of vocational training and present occupation;
- foreign languages certificates;
- German candidates should provide a detailed statement explaining their reasons for applying, their choice of host country and proposed topic of research.
- Candidates from abroad should provide a letter of motivation in German.
- Mrs. Ute Maria Kilian in Düsseldorf
Telephone: +49 211 837 1274
Email: [email protected]
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Heinz-Kühn-Foundation 2017 Scholarships
[…] aim of the Heinz-Kühn-Foundation is to support the training and professional development of junior journalists. The foundation […]