Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
Dates: Monday 11 – Wednesday 13 July 2016
Deadline for Application: Sunday 26 June 2016
Her Zimbabwe has created a media-activism training program for young women. The goal of the program is to reach out to individuals who might be allies of the feminist movement but have never had opportunities to talk/write about gender issues, as well as create a community of feminist-oriented writers and provide publishing opportunities for them on the Her Zimbabwe portal.
It aims to train feminist bloggers to excel in writing about gender issues. The women will participate in a three-day workshop with experienced trainers and feminist writers. Among other things, the workshop will provide a window into the perspectives of women involved in fields that still experience major gender disparities and impart skills and knowledge around the following areas:
- News gathering and multi-media packaging of content for online media
- Blogging good practice, finding story ideas, reading for writing
- SEO and writing for web
- Practical blogging, quality over quantity and promoting posts
- Gender reporting
- Feminist writing and reporting
- Digital security for bloggers
- Be a young woman aged 20-35 years, who actually enjoys writing and has interest to contribute to Her Zimbabwe.
- Have a keen interest in or understanding of women’s issues
- Have prior knowledge, understanding or a keen interest to learn about feminism.
- Be a writer of published or unpublished works
- A journalism, communications or gender studies qualification is an added advantage. Alternatively, applicants who have experience in campaigning or working as activists with a women’s collective or organisation also have an added advantage.
NB: If you are a woman over 35 and can demonstrate how these skills will be of benefit to you (especially if you work for a women’s collective or organisation), you are also welcome to apply.
Participants must be able to attend ALL sessions on all days and must also be able to bring along with them a laptop they can use for the duration of the workshop. The training will take place for 3 full days, each day beginning at 9am am and ending at 4pm, with lunches and teas provided. This training is free of charge.
All participants from Harare must be able to make personal provisions to travel to the venue everyday of the training. Those from out of Harare are encouraged to apply.
- Fill in the online Her Zimbabwe Blogging and Digital Security Training Application Form or download it and send a completed copy via email.
- Send a copy of your CV which should be a maximum of 2 pages
- Send one writing sample of 500-1000 words (this may be a published or unpublished work)
All materials are to be sent to [email protected] with the email subject titled ‘Her Zimbabwe July 2016 Training – Harare’
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Her Zimbabwe July 2016 Training
[…] calling for those women who are aspiring in feminist blogging/writing (read completely here). Unfortunately, I could not participate on its even because of ineligibility. Although, this […]