Application Deadline: April 29th, 2022
Netflix, the world’s leading streaming entertainment service, has committed KSH 33,000,000 towards a Creative Equity Scholarship Fund (CESF) in East Africa that will provide financial support to African creatives to access quality tertiary education in film and TV-focused disciplines at sought-after academic programmes/institutions. This is part of Netflix’s ongoing efforts to invest in Africa’s creative industries and for more diverse and new voices to tell African stories.
The CESF is designed to provide financial assistance through full scholarships at partner higher educational institutions (HEI) in Kenya, as listed below, to support the formal qualification and training of aspiring creatives from the East African region.
- The scholarship will cover the costs for tuition, accommodation, study materials, and living expenses at institutions to which beneficiaries have gained admission to pursue a course of study in the TV & film disciplines.
This scholarship opportunity is open to:
- New and ongoing certificate, diploma and degree students pursuing a course of study in Film and TV disciplines (screen production disciplines in particular).
- Students accepted or enrolled in the following academic institutions:
- Students from the following countries in the East African region; Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan, Rwanda, Burundi and Tanzania enrolled in the aforementioned academic institutions.
- Students who are above 18 years of age and have attained highschool qualification.
- Students that can demonstrate financial need and have been unable to secure meaningful financial aid from other sources (e.g HELB)
The following are the general timelines of the application process from start to finish.
Open For Applications
23 March – 22 April 2022
The Creative Equity Scholarships Fund opens for applications. Applicants who complete the application form will receive a notification that we have received their application.
25 April – 29 April 2022
The CESF applications are reviewed by a panel evaluating them against the eligibility criteria.
2 May – 6 May 2022
Successful applicants are notified that they have been selected. A message is sent out to facilitate scheduling of one on one interviews.
One on One Interviews
9 May – 20 May 2022
One on One interviews happen. A further shortlist is compiled after this.
June 13 – June 24 2022
Due Diligence checks on the successful candidates.
July 4 – July 11 2022
The final list of eligible students will be released, and letters of offer written to them.
Announcement of New Group
July 15 2022
Announcement of the new cohort of students will be done on our platforms, contracts signed after which the first disbursements of the investments can proceed.
For More Information: