Application Deadline: 15 February 2024
Iso Lomso means ‘the eye of tomorrow’ in isiXhosa: seeing towards the future, laying the foundations for tomorrow. The programme is aimed at African scholars who have obtained a doctoral degree within the preceding seven years and who hold an academic position at a university or research institution anywhere in Africa. Candidates should have established a research programme and have completed a post-doctoral fellowship or equivalent post-PhD programme. All disciplines are considered.
Iso Lomso fellowships provide a three-year attachment to STIAS to enable fellows to develop and conduct a long-term research programme of their preference. The aim is to facilitate and support them towards becoming established scholars in their fields.
To be eligible for the 2024 call, applicants must:
- be a national of any African country;
- be born after the 1st of January 1981;
- have an affiliation at a research or higher education institution in an African country, and continue to do so for the foreseeable future;
- have obtained a doctoral degree from any recognised higher education institution (worldwide) after the 1st of January 2016;
- have completed a post-doctoral fellowship or equivalent post-PhD research programme;
- be in a position to commence a first period of residency at STIAS during 2025.
Residence at STIAS
A three-year attachment to STIAS during which time you may spend a total of ten months in residence at STIAS to develop and pursue a long-term research project
Links to sister institutions
The possibility of a residency at a partner institute for advanced study or other research intensive institution abroad
Funding to attend up to two international conferences or training workshops anywhere in the world
Your own workshop
Support to convene a workshop with collaborators at STIAS or at their home institution
Support for your institution
Lecturer replacement subsidy for your home institution during residency periods
- Shortlisted candidates may be contacted during May 2024 for any additional information that may be required about their proposed projects.
- A final selection will be made by the end of May 2024 and successful candidates will be contacted during June 2024.
- These dates may change and will be updated on this page.
For More Information: