Application Deadline:11:59pm GMT on October 1, 2019
JA Africa and Facebook Inc. announce the launch of the 2019 Out Of School Youth (OOSY) Company of the Year Competition. The JA Africa Company of the Year (COY) Competition is JA Africa’s flagship event to celebrate the entrepreneurial achievements of young people from across Africa, who have completed the in-school JA Company Program® OR a JA entrepreneurship program for out of school youth (OOSY).
Through qualification rounds at the national level, finalists earn the opportunity to compete at the regional level, where they are evaluated by a panel of independent judges drawn from a cross-section of esteemed professions.
The theme of this year’s event is “Activating Disruptors.” We are encouraging young people to develop ideas that will disrupt existing industries and encourage them to create new business models.
Category 1: Companies owned by JA alumni from any of the countries where JA works in Africa. This entrant category is only eligible for the First and Second place prizes (see prize details in competition guidelines).
Category 2: Startup/early stage companies (1-3years old) owned by any African youth between ages 16-30. This entrant category is only eligible for the Facebook Digital Marketing Prize (see prize details in competition guidelines).
1 st Place: Companies owned by JA alumni from any of the countries where JA works in Africa. Winner will receive a cash prize of $1,000 and an all-expenses-paid trip to Accra, Ghana from December 4-6, 2019
2nd Place: Companies owned by JA alumni from any of the countries where JA works in Africa. Winner will receive a cash prize of $800.
Digital Media Marketing: Startup/early stage companies (1-3 years old) owned by any African youth between ages 16-30. Winner will receive a cash prize of $500 and Facebook Ad credits
Eligibility and Entry
The 2019 out of school competition is open to (1) companies owned by JA alumni from any of the countries where JA works in Africa and (2) startup/early stage companies (1-3 years old) owned by any African youth between ages 16-30.
The official language of the competition is English.
Facebook Blueprint Courses
Companies must complete 10 mandatory Facebook Blueprint courses (links below), which will
take them on a learning journey, from beginner to intermediate, about digital marketing.
- Getting Started with the Facebook Family of Apps and Services
- Introduction to Facebook Pages
- Promote your Business from your Facebook Page
- Reach your Audience on Facebook Platforms
- Introduction to Instagram
- Instagram for Business
- Getting Started with Messenger for your Business
- Brand Best Practices
- Winning with Video on Mobile
- Optimize Creative for Mobile Intermediate
To enter this competition, Companies must complete the following steps:
1) Complete and submit certificates for 10 mandatory Facebook Blueprint Courses (course links provided in the competition guidelines document below)
2) Complete Company Profile Questionnaire (start application below)
3) Create/Have an active Facebook Business Page
4) Create a 2-minute Video Advertisement that effectively uses at least one Facebook tool (Legend, Boomerang, Videoshop)
For More Information: