Application Deadline: January 24, 2023
The U.S. Department of State and IREX are excited to announce that applications for the Mandela Day Service Grant, a unique collaboration opportunity for Alumni of the Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders, are now open.
Mandela International Day of Service is officially on July 18; however, the Nelson Mandela Foundation, the custodian of his legacy, has advocated for “Making Every Day a Mandela Day” to encourage ongoing volunteerism throughout the year. The new Mandela Day Service Grant will provide funding to Fellowship Alumni to support short-term service projects that the Fellowship believes will contribute to sustainable community development. Through the grant, up to six Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni (or Alumni teams) will receive up to $1,000 each to implement a short-term community service or volunteer project in honor of Mandela Day.
The Mandela Day Service Grant, funded by the U.S. Department of State, will provide funding for Fellowship Alumni to design, implement, and actively engage in short-term volunteer-driven community campaigns that contribute to longer-term projects focused on improving livelihoods. Through the grant, up to six Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni or Alumni teams will receive up to $1,000 each to implement a short-term community service or volunteer project in honor of Mandela Day.
- Applications must follow the instructions in the packet below.
- Extra materials outside of this application will not be considered.
- Revisions to applications after submission will also not be considered.
- Only one application per team will be considered.
- Applications must be written in English.
Mandela Day Service Grant Process & Important Dates
- All Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni are invited to apply for the Mandela Day Service Grant. The application will consist of a project proposal, including an overview of project goals and objectives, target audience, budget, timeline, work plan, and Alumni Collaborator (if applicable).
- Selected projects will be announced in March 2023.
For More Information: