The ASU Foundation for a New American University and The MasterCard Foundation are pleased to announce the availability of The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at ASU. This prestigious scholarship recognizes international students from Sub-Saharan Africa who come from the lowest socioeconomic quintiles and show outstanding academic and leadership abilities.
Those considered for this program demonstrate high academic achievement, exceptional records of service and activity in their schools and communities, and a commitment to return to Africa after their studies to make an impact on social and economic change in their home countries.
Scholarship award amount
The Scholars program provides financial assistance equivalent to the costs related to the attainment of a bachelor’s degree, which must be obtained within eight semesters, or four academic years. The scholarship includes travel, tuition, housing, food, living expenses, internship experience in Sub-Saharan Africa, and cohort signature programs, such as a freshman retreat in northern Arizona, a Broadway show at Gammage Auditorium and a senior retreat. Students also are eligible to take up to nine credit hours of summer school courses.
In addition to financial support, students are provided with a comprehensive support network that includes an array of mentoring and cultural transition services to ensure each student’s academic success, community engagement, and transition to employment opportunities that will further social and economic change in Africa.
- first-time freshman seeking a bachelor’s degree
- citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country
- currently living in Sub-Saharan Africa
- academic achievement and potential
- demonstration of service and leadership in school or community
- motivation and commitment to return to Sub-Saharan Africa after graduation and give back
- verification of disadvantaged socio-economic status
- By Jan. 15, 2014, ASU international undergraduate admissions must receive the application for admission to Arizona State University and all supporting materials required. Please submit the application at http://asu.edu/ugapp. A complete application includes:
- three consecutive years of certified academic records,
- certified national exame results (if applicable in your country)
- TOEFL scores (depending on country of secondary school)
Please send the required documents to ASU international undergraduate admission using the address line “ATTN: MasterCard Fdn Scholars.” Addresses and additional information are available at https://students.asu.edu/international/future/undergrad. Include a certified English translation of all documents not written in English.
The application fee will be waived for MasterCard Foundation Scholars. When starting your application, select “Pay Later with Check or Money Order.”
If you are required to take the TOEFL, we strongly encourage you to take the exam by Dec. 1, 2013, to ensure an on-time submission of materials for admission to ASU.
- By Jan. 15, 2014, The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at ASU must receive a completed online application, which includes:
- student information and daily activities
- five essays
- financial information related to the household income and expenses
- references’ names and contact information
The online application is available at https://scholarships.asu.edu/mcfscholarship/app.
Only accepted ASU students will be reviewed for this program. Students must submit the online ASU admissions application to access the online application for the program at ASU.
- The selection committee will determine semi-finalists by Feb. 15, 2014. If a student is selected as a semi-finalist, a letter of recommendation will be required. Reference forms will be sent to semi-finalists when they are notified.
- Recommendation forms must be submitted to The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at ASU no later than March 7, 2014.
- The selection committee will determine finalists by March 28, 2014.
- All other candidates will be notified by April 7, 2014.
Please contact the program at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions.