Application Deadline: August 31st, 2017.
Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980. “2018 Research Fellowship Program” has been released.
- Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
1. Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
2. Applicants must be 49 years old or under.
3. Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan.
4. Applicants should not have been in Japan in the past and/or in the present.
5. Applicants should have firm positions and professions in their home countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their fellowship stay by MIF.
6. Applicants must be of sound health and not physically handicapped in any way which would not prevent from carrying out research in Japan.
- Applicants indicate the period of Fellowship with the length of stay needed for the Research Project (Application Document #2) between 3 months to 6 months, and the commencing month and ending month between April 2018 to March 2019. (e.g. 5 months from June 2018 to October 2018) MIF plans to invite about 20 persons.
HOST INSTITUTION IN JAPAN
- Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry) in which to carry out their research. However, applicants are cautioned that they are obliged to obtain acceptance from such host institutions prior to submitting their applications. MIF
cannot give counsel or advice to an applicant concerning his/her host institution in Japan.
- Stipend for research and stay, Insurance, Air transportation (a round-trip air ticket to/from Tokyo) and Lump sum on arrival
- Stipend for research
and stay …………………….. ¥220,000 yen is provided monthly for the purpose of payment of tuition, expenses for research materials, lodging, meals, transportation, etc.
Insurance ………………….. Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance: (1) Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment, and (2) Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
Air transportation …… An economy-class round-trip air ticket between the international airport nearest to successful applicant’s home residence and Tokyo via most direct routing is provided. The provided air ticket cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash be provided by MIF for purchase of an air ticket by any individual or organization other than MIF.
Lump sum on arrival .. ¥120,000 yen is provided to assist with local travel expenses on arrival, the initial cost of lodging, etc.
Period & Number of Fellowships:
- For a period of from three to six months; the number of fellowships is about 20 persons each year.
For More Information: