Application Deadline: 31 March 2017.
Selection of the 36 winning entries and pitches will be made through a three tier process: first an eligibility check, then content evaluation and scoring by media professionals and finally, selection and contracting of winners among the top scored entries by the Award Partners‘ Steering Committee. Funding of the award will be provided and approved by DG NEAR. Copyright of all 36 winning entries, and of the 36 new original award-funded work, based on a three-month production period, will be shared with the European Commission.
- The “Migration Media Award” is an award for journalists covering migration in the Mediterranean region. Journalists or media houses from either an EU country or an EU South Partner Country (SPC) are eligible to participate by submitting together a/ an already published journalistic work that covers a migration-related topic in or around the Mediterranean, either as an entire region or in one or several Mediterranean countries b/ a pitch/synopsis for a second original production to be financed under the award scheme.
The evaluation of all eligible entries will take place in three languages – English, French and Arabic – and in four categories – TV, radio, print, online. As a result, there will be 3 x 4 = 12 winners. Since a first, second and third prize are foreseen in each language and category, there will be 12 x 3 = 36 winners, generating a total of 36 winning stories.
The following criteria will be considered for shortlisting and selecting of award winners:
- The entry must have been published between 1 April 2016 and 31 March 2017.
- The content of the entry must be related to migration in the Euro-Mediterranean region; the Migration Media Award is limited to the Mediterranean region in terms of its regional scope.
- The entry must either have been published in English, French or Arabic. Submission of published work in other languages requires the production to be accompanied by a translation into English, French or Arabic.
- Each entry must be accompanied with a 300 word synopsis detailing the pitch for further production to be financed should it win the award.
- The entry must be accompanied by a form which, among others, guarantees the implementing partners of the award shared copyright with partners and ultimately, with the European Union, and the permission to republish a winning entry entirely and in multiple languages.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a brief description of circa 300 words detailing the reason/newsworthiness of the angle chosen and any difficulties encountered during the published production.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Migration Media Award Competition 2017
[…] The Migration Media Award funded by the European Union, hosted over 35 winning stories in the 2017 edition showcasing journalistic excellence on migration in the Euro-Mediterranean region. […]