Application Deadline: Ongoing
The MINDS Scholarship Programme for Leadership Development in Africa was successfully launched in 2017, bringing to realisation our vision of developing young leaders who have a continent-wide development mindset and leaders who can facilitate greater cooperation between African countries.
The MINDS Scholarship Programme enables African students to study in an African country other than their home country and in this way immerse themselves in richness and diversity that the country and its communities has to offer. By broadening access to education, we see the expansion of openness to ideas and the creation of a network of like-minded leaders who will help promote the performance and tangible progress of our continent. There is no doubt that a more integrated African economy of global scale will accelerate growth, generate positive outcomes and benefit all its communities.
MINDS Scholarships are awarded to meritorious applicants following a rigorous selection process. To be considered for a MINDS Scholarship, you must:
- Be a national of an African country, residing in any African country
- Have been formally accepted by one or more MINDS preferred institution/s outside of your country of citizenship and/ or residency
- Have been formally accepted by one or more MINDS preferred institution/s to pursue postgraduate studies within the following year
- Have obtained at least 70% in each subject/ course in the last two completed years of study
- Produce evidence of demonstrated leadership abilities or potential guided by the questions/ requirements set out in the application form
- Submit a complete online application form (see below) with the required supporting documentation.
List of Preferred Institutions:
To be eligible to receive a MINDS Scholarship, an applicant must have been accepted to study at one of the following institutions:
- African Leadership University, Rwanda
- Carnegie Mellon University in Rwanda, Rwanda
- Makerere University, Uganda
- Strathmore University, Kenya
- African Leadership University, Mauritius
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- University of Mauritius, Mauritius
- University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
- Al Akhawayn University, Morocco
- Université Cadi Ayyad, Morocco
- Université Mohammed V, Morocco
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science & Technology, Ghana
- Pan-Atlantic University (Lagos Business School), Nigeria
- University of Development Studies, Ghana
MINDS’ offers scholarships to Africans who wish to pursue post-graduate studies within Africa, outside of their own countries. Through tailored leadership development activities, the MINDS Scholarship Programme aims to nurture leaders who have a continental development mindset; leaders who will facilitate greater cohesion and cooperation between African countries.
MINDS Scholarships are applicable to full-time studies of a one or two-year Honors or Master’s degree at one of the MINDS preferred institutions (listed below). MINDS does not prescribe the course to be studied.
The Scholarship will cover some or all of the expenses below, depending on whether a partial or full scholarship is awarded:
- Accommodation and meals
- One return ticket per duration of studies
- A fixed stipend.
Individuals with a Pan-African outlook, demonstrated leadership ability and an excellent academic record who wish to study on the African continent, outside their home country are invited to apply for the scholarships.
Besides the general scholarships, MINDS is also offering the following specific ones with special criteria determined by our funding partners:
The scholarships are only for South African students to study at any of the MINDS preferred universities outside South Africa. The scholarships are not specific to a field of study.
The scholarships are for students from any African country to study actuarial sciences, business sciences and accounting, IT and developmental finance in South African, Kenyan and Nigerian institutions on the MINDS preferred universities list.
Diamond Empowerment Fund
The scholarships will fund African post-graduate study at the University of Witwatersrand in a highly skilled discipline of study e.g. engineering, biotechnology, aerospace, nanotechnology, neuroscience, artificial intelligence, ICT law, mining taxation. Candidates must be from an African diamond mining country.
Government of Rwanda
The scholarships are for students from Rwanda to study at any of the universities on the MINDS preferred list but outside Rwanda. The scholarships are not specific to a field of study.
Applications will be processed in the order they are received.
If you meet the eligibility criteria above, you can submit your application by clicking on the link below. Please have the following documents scanned, saved and ready for uploading. All documents uploaded must be in PDF format. Each attachment should not exceed 2MB in size.
- A copy of the data/ bio page of your passport.
- A certified academic transcript/ results slip of the last two years of study.
- A copy of the official acceptance letter from the university. The letter must:
- Be addressed to the applicant.
- State the degree which the applicant has been accepted to study.
- State the academic year at which the degree will commence.
- State the duration of the course (e.g. one year).
- A copy of a valid study permit or visa OR proof of application. (Optional)
- A detailed CV/ Resume of not more than four (4) single sided pages.
- Two reference letters (of not more than 3 pages each) addressing the applicant’s demonstration of integrity, their competency and/or potential as a leader and their commitment to the development of the African continent.
For More Information: