Application Deadline: February 20, 2018
The NEF 2018 Africa Energy Innovation Competiton is set to accelerate the development of early-stage energy firms across Africa. Across Africa, the main energy challenge is to rapidly deliver modern energy services to millions of households and businesses using sustainable and affordable energy technologies. This competition challenges early-stage energy entrepreneurs from Africa to collaborate with local research institutions or industries to develop a prototype model of a key device/equipment for a social energy enterprise or energy management system using local resources.
Your proposed prototype model submission must not exceed 1-side of an A4 page and should include the following:
- Project Title
- Your solution (250 words)
- Partner Institution or Industry
- Expected impact (50 words)
- Short abstract (50 words)
- Design tools and method (50 words)
- Problem Statement (50 words)
- Young professionals between the ages of 18 and 35 years from Africa are invited to participate in the competition and nominate a relevant local research institution or organization.
- Applications may be submitted by a team of up to three people.
- At least 1 member of the team must be from the local research institution or industry.
- Teams may be formed across different schools, institutions, companies, countries etc. Individuals or teams may submit multiple applications.
The finalists and winners will be selected by a panel of academics and experienced development professionals from public and private sector institutions. Winners of the competition get the opportunity to:
- Pitch their proposed prototype model at the 2018 Nigeria Energy Forum, in Lagos, Nigeria, using a poster and short video.
- Benefit from unique networking opportunities with other young leaders as well as some of the most senior decision-makers in government, international development, academia and the private sector.
- Attend a range of business development workshops, receive support from a dedicated start-up incubator and a cash prize of up to $3,000 to demonstrate the proposed solution.
Estimated costs and timeline (50 words)
Submissions must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subject line of the email should follow the format: [Country] Title of the Project.
Submissions that exceed the word count may be disqualified. Shortlisted submissions would be invited to participate in the
final round by submitting a 1-page poster to summarize their design, with a detailed budget, 2-page Design Brief, and a Short
2-minute video to describe a prototype model of the proposed solution.
- Deadline for proposal submission: February 20, 2018
- Announcement of submissions selected for the final round: March 4, 2018
- Deadline for final submissions: March 23, 2018
- Announcement of winners: April 17, 2018.
For More Information: