Application Deadline: December 31st 2017
The NPR Kroc Fellowship identifies and develops a new generation of extraordinary public radio journalists.
Over the course of a year, the three Kroc Fellows get rigorous, hands-on training in every aspect of public radio journalism, both on-air and online, including writing, reporting, producing and editing. Throughout the experience Kroc Fellows can expect to develop:
- Production and editorial skills, by working on an NPR program. Past fellows have worked at All Things Considered, Morning Edition, and Weekend Edition Saturday
- Reporting and on-air experience, by working under the guidance of NPR editors
- Web writing and multi-media production skills, by working with NPR digital producers and editors
- First-hand broadcast journalism experience, by working at an NPR Member Station
While the ideal Kroc Fellow aspires to work in public radio, previous journalism or radio experience is not required.
- Candidates should be close to completing a undergraduate or graduate degree, or have earned a degree no more than one year prior to December 31.
- Kroc Fellows must be able to demonstrate exceptional potential and drive.
Do you have to be an American citizen to take part in the program?
No. But foreign nationals must have appropriate employment authorizations.
- The Fellowship begins in August and lasts one year. Fellows receive a stipend of more than $40,000 and benefits, including paid vacation.
- NPR will provide Kroc Fellows with professional guidance and assist in job placement.
Each completed application MUST include:
- Cover letter, explaining why you should be selected
- Sample work reflecting remarkable initiative or accomplishment. This might be in the form of a writing sample (of 1000 words or less, please), a link to an excerpt (five minutes or so) from a video production or a musical composition, etc.
- Academic transcript(s) – unofficial transcripts will be accepted.
- Two references – names and contact information to be part of your application. The actual reference letters will need to be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as a WORD or PDF file with your LAST NAME, FIRST NAME – KROC FELLOW APPLICANT in the subject line by December 31.
For More Information: