Application Deadline: February 5th 2018
The International Fact-Checking Network wants to support your next big idea.
IFCN recognize the importance of making innovation a key part of fact-checking in the age of online misinformation and we are also aware that innovation requires investment. For those reasons, we are opening Fact Forward. A call for fact-checking organizations and/or teams of journalists, designers, developers or data scientists to submit projects that can represent a paradigmatic innovation for fact-checkers in any of these areas: 1) formats, 2) business models 3) technology-assisted fact-checking.
With Fact Forward, the IFCN will grant 50,000 USD to the winning project.
For this fund, an innovative project is defined as one that provides a distinct, novel user experience that seamlessly integrates content, design, and business strategy. The innovation should serve both the audience and the organization.
- Applicants must work for a fact-checking organization that is a signatory of the IFCN code of principles or commit to complying with the code’s application and verification process by the end of the 12-month term.
A panel of experts will choose the winner. The members of the panel are:
- Bill Adair: Knight Professor of the Practice of Journalism and Public Policy. Creator of PolitiFact.
- Mariano Blejman: Founder of Media Factory news accelerator. Founder of Media Party, the biggest mediathon in Latin America.
- Laura Hazard Owen: Deputy Editor of Nieman Journalism Lab at The Nieman Foundation at Harvard University.
- Emily Thorson: Assistant professor of political science at Syracuse University. Focuses on the effects of misinformation and corrections.
- Janine Warner: Co-founder of Sembramedia. Knight Fellow for the International Center for Journalists.
The initial application is through a form that includes, among others: name, organization, brief description of organization and project description of 250 to 500 words. The second phase will require a more detailed application and budget and will only be open to the applications that passed the first round.
What are the deadlines?
First Round Opens: January 8th.
First Round Closes: February 5th.
Applicants informed of selection to the Second Round: March 5th.
Second Round Opening: March 6th.
For More Information: