Application Deadline: 4 August 2022
The Prince Claus Fund, in partnership with the Creative Industries Fund NL, is inviting artists to submit applications for its Building Beyond Mentorship programme. Building Beyond Mentorship is an alternative educational programme aimed at fostering thought leadership, promoting criticality and reframing design-based practices.
- You have ±5-12 years of relevant professional experience;
- You are from, living, registered and working in Algeria, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Egypt, Ethiopia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Kenya, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Uganda, Rwanda, Senegal, Somalia, Tanzania, Tunisia, Chad, South Africa, or South-Sudan;
- And you are an emerging artist, designer, creative, or thinker whose individual practice relates to design, public space, architecture, activism, policy, and the digital space.
- The programme consists of peer group sessions, masterclasses and two mentoring intensives in the form of Lab Weeks – one on the African continent and one in the Netherlands – where there will be opportunities for exchange and to build participants’ network in different scenes.
- In addition to this, each participant receives an award of €10 000 (about $10 400) and guidance from mentors to work on the concept for a body of work that is outlined in their application.
- The Creative Industries Fund-NL and the Prince Claus Fund cover the costs related to the mentorship programme itself, including travel expenses, visa costs, and accommodation during travel. Participants are responsible for their own travel insurance.
The following criteria are used for assessing applications:
- Original: the work is innovative and artistically interesting
- Transformative: the work engages with pressing social/political issues, is challenging and thought-provoking, and aims to create lasting change
- Context-specific: the work is important in and relevant to the local context
- Inclusive: the work is linked to the ultimate aim of more inclusive societies, connecting people in ways that resist marginalisation, oppression and division
- Impactful: the award will make a real difference to the professional development, engagement and impact of the individual’s practice
- Potential to Accelerate: the individual has the potential to become a leader in the field, the work is engaged and focused on relevant social issues within context
HOW TO APPLY
- You can apply for this opportunity through our online application system.
- The application includes questions relating to the programme and your practice, a concept outline of work to be developed within the mentorship, a portfolio of previous work, and a pitch/motivation.
To apply you need to:
- Create an account on the Prince Claus Awards Platform and start a new submission for the Prince Claus Mentorship Award: Building Beyond
- Fill in all required fields and attachments. You can save the application and complete it later up until the deadline. If you have any questions along the way, please refer to our FAQ or e-mail us at [email protected]
- The deadline for applications is 4 August 2022 23:59 CEST. We understand that many people have intermittent access to the internet, or unstable connections, but please keep this in mind when planning your submission. We encourage you not to wait until the last day with submitting as our online system will close automatically on the deadline and we cannot accept any applications after that point
- You will receive an automatic email confirmation once your submission has been successfully received in the Prince Claus Awards Platform
For More Information: