Application Deadline: 31 July 2017.
The Rhodes University Council has established several Rhodes University Postdoctoral Fellowships across all faculties which may be awarded for one year with the possibility of renewal.
The Fellowships are intended to foster existing research and scholarly or creative activities within Rhodes University departments and institutes. Ideally a Fellow’s proposed work will closely complement existing programmes in the host department.
- Although there is no age restriction, potential Fellows must hold a doctoral degree, awarded within the last five years, preferably from an institution other than Rhodes University and recognized as appropriate to the discipline for which the Fellowship is sought.
- Successful candidates must be of exceptional merit as evidenced by the quality and corpus of publications or other recognized forms of achievement relevant to the Fellow’s discipline.
- The Fellowship will be awarded strictly on merit.
- An applicant who has not completed his/her PhD at the time the Fellowship is offered must have submitted the PhD thesis by the end of 2017.
- In these circumstances the Research Office will require written assurance from the applicant’s supervisor that there is a reasonable expectation that the doctoral degree will be awarded.
- Each Fellowship is a package of R180 000 per annum with an additional allocation of a maximum of R20 000 to be used at the discretion of the Head of Department and the Fellow.
- The Fellowship cannot be held concurrently with any supplementary funding.
CONDITIONS OF THE AWARD
The University expects that all publications, creative works and other academic products of the Fellowship will bear appropriate acknowledgement with full affiliation to Rhodes University. The University reserves the right to co-ownership of inventions and/or patents directly emanating from research conducted under the sponsorship of the Fellowship.
Applications for the Fellowships should be made through the potential host department and then directed to the Research Office (firstname.lastname@example.org). The determination of awards will be made by a committee comprising the Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research and Development (Chair), the Director: Research Office and Faculty Deans.
For More Information: