The Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) is offering 25 PHD fellowships for 2013/2014 academic year. Applicants must be in teaching or research staff at one of the participating African institutions. The fellowship is tenable at one of the participating African universities for a maximum of four years. The fellowship will cover tuition fees and medical insurance.
- A Masters degree in a relevant field.
- Prior admission into a PhD program is not required for application but awards are contingent on such admission being obtained at one of the participating African universities.
- Applicants for this program must be teaching or research staff at one of the participating African institutions and should be committed to contributing towards building capacity at their institutions.
- Applicants’ PhD research proposal must be related to public and population health or to sexuality studies.
- Fellowships are only open to people who have not yet registered for a PhD or are in the very early stages (first year) of the PhD program
- Applicants must commit to participation in all four annual residential Joint Advanced Seminars (JAS), and to engage in inter-seminar activities designed to keep fellows actively engaged and in continual communication with peers and mentors.
- Male applicants must be under the age of 40 years and female applicants under the age 45 years.
1. Contact the CARTA focal person) at your institution to discuss your interest and obtain application materials. Application forms may also be downloaded from the CARTA website
2. Submit your application to the local CARTA committee in your institution (also email a copy of all application materials to email@example.com), which will conduct the initial screening process and submit successful applications to the
CARTA secretariat. The deadline for submissions is April 15, 2013.
3. If successful at the university selection level, the CARTA secretariat will inform and contact you to proceed to the next level
4. Successful applicants at the university selection level will be expected to:
Complete an online-based pre-JAS, Part I competency course (June 1, 2013 – July
15, 2013) Send a full application to the CARTA secretariat. The deadline for submission of the full application is July 15, 2013.
5. Final fellowship decision, which is independent of the university application, will be communicated by CARTA secretariat by September 30, 2013.
Participating African Universities
- Makerere University, Uganda
- Moi University, Kenya
- National University of Rwanda, Rwanda
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria
- University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- University of Malawi, Malawi
- University of Nairobi, Kenya
- University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
Participating Research Institutes
- African Population & Health Research Center (APHRC), Kenya
- Agincourt Population and Health Unit,South Africa
- Ifakara Health Institute, Tanzania
- KEMRI/Wellcome Trust Research Program,Kenya
For More Information: