Application Deadline: 25th of August 2018,
Rosatom Central and Southern Africa announces 4th annual youth video competition inviting African youth to debunk nuclear power myths Russian state owned nuclear corporation Rosatom officially opens submissions for its 4th annual youth video competition, devoted to the potential of nuclear power to help bolster Africa’s economic and social development. Students and young professionals from all Sub-Saharan African countries are invited to participate.
This year, for the first time, the contest is supported by the African Young Generation in Nuclear (AYGN), South African Network for Education in Nuclear Science and Technology (SAN-NEST) and South African Institute of Electrical Engineers (SAIEE). The competition is aimed at encouraging students to do their own research into various nuclear applications and the benefits they might have for Africa. The contest will run up until the 25th of August 2018, and young people between the ages of 18 to 30, alone or in a group of up to 3 fellows, are encouraged to film a 60- to 120-second video on their findings.
The top ten videos will be shortlisted and posted on the company’s Facebook page, the creators of the three videos with the most likes will win an all-expenses paid trip to Russia on 6 – 12th October, 2018. In addition to the cultural tours of Moscow, the agenda includes a visit to one of Russia’s Nuclear Power Plants (NPP) which is equipped with VVER nuclear reactor, as well as a journey to the first City of Science – Obninsk where many scientific and nuclear facilities are located. The winners will have a chance to meet African students who are currently studying nuclear physics at the world-famous MEPhI nuclear university.
To help applicants increase their chances of winning, Rosatom Central and Southern Africa, together with Wits University, will hold an online webinar “Atoms Empowering Africa” on the 21st of June 2018 at 11:00 SA time (9:00 am GMT), to introduce the potential of nuclear for Africa, showcase Rosatom’s latest activities on the continent and answer questions regarding the competition. Link to the webinar is https://zoom.us/j/170962638.
Competition format: Facebook video competition
Key topics for videos:
- Why does Africa need to embrace the peaceful atom?
- Who in Africa already benefits from peaceful atom and how?
- How would you explain the benefits of the peaceful atom to your fellow Africans?
- Top 10 shortlisted videos will be featured on organizers’ social media platfroms, their authors will receive a diploma and a power bank either in person at the award ceremony or via courier.
- 3 winning teams chosen among top 10 will receive all-expenses paid trip to Russia on 6 – 12th October. No cash compensations.
Russia visit details:
- Trip to the first City of Science – Obninsk – where many scientific and nuclear facilities are located and where many African students study nuclear physics at world-famous MEPhI nuclear university.
- Meet and greet with African students studying nuclear in Russia.
- Visit to one of Russian NPP equipped with latest Generation 3+ VVER nuclear reactors.
- Tour of Russian culture, traditions and cuisine.
How to participate?
- Read T&Cs to check your eligibility
- Prepare and post your video as per T&C
- Complete and send us your entry form
- Receive personal email from the jury
- In case of win, get ready to be empowered!
14 June – start of competition
21 June – online webinar “Atoms Empowering Africa”:
- Introduction of nuclear
- Review of latest reports on the topic like “Atoms for Africa” and others
- QnA about the competition
25 August – end of competition
28 August – top 10 videos posted on Rosatom Africa Facebook page
1 September – online awarding ceremony
6-12 October – TRIP TO RUSSIA! Get ready to meet Russian nuclear family!
- Audience reach based on number of likes and reposts of your original post
- Jury decision based on creativity, comprehensibility and impact
For More Information: