Application Deadline: February 27, 2018.
In 1995 the SADC Council of Ministers approved the establishment of the SADC Media Awards to recognise best media work in the region. Since 1996 the SADC Secretariat has been coordinating the Media Awards to encourage the media in the Region to play a leading role in disseminating information on SADC in order to support the process of regional co-operation and integration.
The SADC Secretariat now is pleased to announce the 2018 SADC Media Awards Competition. The Awards are in the fields of Print Journalism, Radio Journalism, Television Journalism and Photo journalism. Prospective entrants are invited to submit their entries accompanied by proof of their nationality to the National Adjudication Committee (NAC) in their respective Member States.
a) The entries should have been published/broadcast between January and December the year preceding the awards (2017) by a registered and/or authorized media house or agency or carried on a website of a registered and/or authorized media house or agency in any of the SADC Member States;
b) The themes of the entries to be submitted for the competition must be on issues and activities promoting Regional Integration in the SADC region, i.e. infrastructure, economy, water, culture, sports, agriculture, etc.
c) All media practitioners who are SADC nationals may enter the competition, except those in institutions contracted by SADC and the SADC Secretariat staff;
d) All works entering the competition should be in one of the SADC working languages, i.e. English, Portuguese, French and any national indigenous language of the SADC Region and should be submitted together with the transcript in one of the three SADC working languages, i.e. English, French and Portuguese. These should be published/broadcast (newspaper cutting, websites, magazines, audio CDs, USB and newsletters;
e) Entries are invited from the following categories:
i) Print Journalism: comprising features/articles published in newspapers, newsletters, websites, magazines;
• Print Journalism submissions should have a minimum of 100 (one hundred words and a maximum of 2000 (two thousand) words.
ii) Radio Journalism: comprising broadcast material;
• Radio Journalism broadcast material should have a minimum duration of 1 (one) minute and a maximum of 30 (thirty) minutes. All broadcast material should be submitted on a CD or USB. The entries should be accompanied by electronic transcript in word format for translation purposes.
iii) Television Journalism: comprising televised material;
• Broadcast material should have a minimum duration of 1 (one) minute and a maximum of forty-five (45) minutes. All broadcast material should be submitted on a CD or USB. The entries should be accompanied by electronic transcript in word format for translation purposes.
iv) Photojournalism: comprising published pictures with a caption;
• Photographic entries should have one (1) photo, or a pictorial spread of not more than twenty (20) photos published in one issue/edition. Each entry must be accompanied by an original newspaper in which photo (s) were published.
f) All entries must be submitted to the National Adjudication Committee not later than February 27, 2018.
g) All submissions must be made strictly on the SADC Media Award Entry Form and should contain full contact details of the entrant, including, passport-sized photograph, physical address, telephone and, where applicable, fax number and e-mail address;
h) Entries will be initially screened and judged by the National Adjudication Committee in each Member State, which will select the best entry in each of the four categories to be forwarded to the Regional Adjudication Committee (RAC), through the SADC Secretariat.
- The first prize winners will be announced and receive their prizes during the 38th SADC Summit of Heads of State and Government;
- The Awards will include Print, Radio, Television and Photo journalism. Each category carries a first prize of US$2,500;
- The runner-ups in each category will receive a second prize of US$1000 and will receive the prize money and certificates in their respective countries through their National Contact Point;
- The monetary prizes will be accompanied by a certificate signed by the SADC Chairperson;
- The prizes will be paid directly to the winner. In the case of a winner being unable to attend the ceremony, SADC will make arrangements to give the prize in his/her home country;
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the SADC Media Awards Competition 2018
[…] Les médias sud-africains sont invités à soumettre leurs candidatures pour la Concours SADC Media Awards 2021. […]
[…] The South African media are invited to submit their entries for the 2021 SADC Media Awards competition. […]