Application Deadline: July 20, 2016.
The Science by Women programme will fund a total of seven six-month visiting senior research fellowships for seven experienced African women researchers in any of the following Spanish and international research centres of excellence.
Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO)´s ultimate goal is to foster translation of scientific breakthroughs into novel and more effective ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer.
Spanish National Biotechnology Centre (CNB) focuses on the application of contemporary biotechnology to major societal challenges in health, environment and agriculture.
Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO) is specialised in the science and technology of harnessing light as a pervasive and universal tool that benefit health, energy, information as well as safety, security and environment
Carlos III Health Institute (ISCIII) is a prestigious biomedical research institute focused on communicable and non-communicable diseases.
Institute of Mathematical Sciences (ICMAT). Its goal is to generate knowledge in all the areas of mathematics, particularly in Algebraic Geometry and Mathematical Physics, Differential Geometry, Geometric Mechanics, Mathematical Analysis, Differential Equations and Applications, Number Theory, Group theory, Statistics, Probability, Operations Research and Mathematics of Quantum Information.
Barcelona Graduate School of Economics (GSE) is an institution for scientific cooperation in research and graduate education in economics and the social sciences, and draws on the strengths and noteworthy reputations of its four academic units.
Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) The CRG is an international biomedical research institutes of excellence whose mission is to discover and advance knowledge for the benefit of society, public health and economic prosperity.
Each centre will host 1 researcher.
The preferred areas of research include:
- Energy, Water and Climate Change
- Agriculture and Food Safety
- Economic Science
- Nationality of an African country.
- PhD with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience
- Contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated
- Excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience
- Solid working knowledge of English
- Proven experience leading a research group
Beneficiaries of first edition are not eligible.
Candidates must have already contacted and identified research groups in the host centres.
In general, the duration of the research stays will be six continuous months. Nevertheless, depending on personal and professional needs, the planned research may be realized during two stays within two years after the fellowship has been awarded.
Successful candidates will have access to the following benefits:
- Flight from their centre of origin to the host institution and back
- Living allowance of 2.400 Euros per month to cover accommodation, personal expense and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
Beneficiaries must devote themselves entirely to research at the assigned research centre and may not be beneficiaries of any other fellowship, grant, stipend or regular income during their research stay.
Women for Africa Foundation, in collaboration with the research centre, will help beneficiaries with the compulsory formalities in order to obtain the visa with Spanish Embassies and Consulates.
Applications will be subjected to a highly competitive selection process by an international jury, including members of the Women for Africa Foundation’s Scientific Committee. The jury will evaluate the following criteria:
- The candidate’s research career, curriculum vitae and experience as independent research group leader.
- The project’s scientific -technical quality and innovative potential.
- The expected and measurable economic or social impact of the research project.
- The candidate’s plan to communicate and disseminate the project’s results.
- The proper consideration of ethical issues where appropriate.
Only applications submitted in English via the Science by Women microsite at www.mujeresporafrica.es will be accepted. They must include the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
- Full curriculum vitae
- Fully filled form
- Brief but concise description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host centre (max. 2 pages)
- A letter stating the prospective host group’s interest to support the project proposed by the candidate
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Science by Women Visiting Senior Research Fellowships