Application Deadline: 14 February 2017 CAT
The South Africa-Washington International Program (SAWIP) will be recruiting a team of emerging leaders from across all disciplines from the universities of Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Stellenbosch and the Western Cape. The selected 20 team members participate in a demanding seven-month development experience which includes community engagement and six-weeks of global and work exposure in Washington, DC.
- May be from any academic discipline
- Must be South African citizens or permanent residents
- Must be in their second year (or beyond) of university
- Must be prepared for a high demand programme
- Must be available to participate in the international component of the program from 10 June to 24 July 2017
- Must be between the age of 19 – 25 years
- Must be currently studying at the University of Cape Town, the University of Johannesburg, the University of Stellenbosch, the University of Pretoria or the University of the Western Cape
- Must have a record of community engagement and leadership, with a strong service ethic
- Should envisage themselves as future leaders in South Africa
- The 75 most outstanding are invited to interview before a panel of SAWIP board members, staff, and representatives from participating universities. Up to 40 short-listed candidates are then invited to participate in a three-day selection camp.
- Selection follows a transparent and democratic process. Within two days after the camp, all candidates are notified of the selection outcome.
- An orientation camp with the final group of 20 marks the beginning of each SAWIP team.
- Here they are introduced to the major elements of the SAWIP program, the expectations and intended outcomes, and make a commitment to SAWIP values and full participation.
For More Information: