Behind Google’s simple search box is one of the most complex technology infrastructures in the world. And behind that infrastructure is a diverse group of Googlers who design, build and keep the lights on for our users. We believe that in addition to hiring the best talent, hiring for a diversity of perspectives, ideas and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services. We aspire to be an organization that reflects the diversity of our users globally.
With this in mind, Google has launched our first Internal Technology Intern program for Summer 2013. Current students majoring in information systems, information technology, applied networking, system administration, computer science, or computer engineering are encouraged to apply. This program is designed to provide exposure to the technology industry for students who are historically under-represented in this field.
This program includes three main components: front line internal user support, a corporate engineering project, and skills-based training. We will have Internal Technology Intern opportunities in 8 offices this year: Ann Arbor, MI; Boston, MA; Boulder, CO; Chicago, IL; Los Angeles, CA; New York, NY; Pittsburgh, PA and Seattle/Kirkland, WA.
We invite you to join us for the 2013 Internal Technology Intern program!
Technical support for a technology company is a big task. As a member of our Internal Technology team you are the go-to person for Googlers’ computer hardware and software needs, providing front line user support for all of Google’s internal tools and technologies. You troubleshoot, respond to inquiries and find solutions to technical challenges. Beyond the day-to-day, you improve the Googler user experience by contributing to longer term projects and documentation efforts. You are highly technical and are comfortable problem solving with multiple operating systems (like OS X, Linux, Windows) and a range of devices (including desktops/laptops, phone systems, video conferencing and various wireless devices). You occasionally partner with various teams including security, networking and infrastructure. You’re a fast learner and great communicator who can support the IT needs of global offices of all sizes and Googlers of varying technical backgrounds.
- Provide direct support for desktops/laptops and user access to corporate network and applications both on the network as well as through remote VPN access.
- Assist with moving equipment and users.
- Provide direct support for services such as office phones, mobile devices, video conferencing and remote access.
- Provide basic corporate network infrastructure and server support.
- Provide direct support for Google’s corporate resources and applications.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree to be completed between December 2013 and December 2014.
- Currently pursuing a degree in the following majors: Information Systems, Information Technology, Applied Networking, System Administration, Computer Science, Computer Engineering
- Experience working in an IT department or PC support, or in another technically-focused service environment
- Experience troubleshooting applications in one or more of the following networked environments: Linux, Mac, Windows
- Ability to configure, upgrade and relocate PC hardware, software and print devices
- Understanding of LAN/WAN environments
- Strong organizational, communication, leadership, and customer service skills
Apply Now for The 2013 Google Internal Technology Summer Internship