This scholarship programme is directed at scholars in Africa, engaged in research on the African continent. Female researchers are especially encouraged to apply for these scholarships.
Deadline for applications: 1 April 2013 (for a scholarship in 2014)
Who can apply?
The Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme is directed at scholars in Africa engaged in research on/about the African continent and with a proven track record of extensive research experience. The applicant should be placed at or affiliated with an African university or other African research institution. We would especially like to encourage women to apply for these scholarships.
Applications are invited from scholars with research projects related to current thematic research clusters at the Institute:
- Agrarian Change, Property and Resources
- Conflict, Displacement and Transformation
- Globalization, Trade and Regional Integration
- Urban Dynamics
Applicants are requested to identify within what cluster their project fits best and to motivate the identification.
The scholarship and facilities
The Guest Researchers’ scholarship includes a return air-fare (economy class), accommodation, a subsistence allowance of SEK (Swedish kronor) 300 (approx. USD 45) a day plus an installation grant of SEK 2,500 (approx. USD 370), a shared office and free photocopying facilities up to a maximum of 1,000 copies. Guest Researchers have access to a computer/MS Word at the office and have to do their own typing.
The maximum duration of the stay is 90 days. To be entitled to a refund of the travel costs, the Guest Researcher has to stay for at least two months.
Please note that most academic institutions in the Nordic countries, including the Nordic Africa Institute, are closed or at least running at a reduced capacity during the periods 15 June–15 August and 15 December–15 January. Applicants are thus asked not to choose these periods for their visit.
The Institute’s library is specialized in literature on contemporary Africa and focuses on Social Sciences. Guest Researchers also have access to the Uppsala University Library, including their online resources, and to the Library of the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
Guest Researchers are sometimes invited to write a discussion paper for the Institute’s publications’ series or a short article for the Institute’s website. The draft of the discussion paper should be presented during the stay in Uppsala, preferably in a public forum.
The application should contain
- a completed application form (2 copies)
- a short motivation of your selection of NAI research cluster (2 copies)
- an up-to-date curriculum vitæ (2 copies)
- a short abstract of the research project to be carried out at the Nordic Africa Institute (2 copies)
- a well elaborated research proposal outlining the main features of the research topic. The proposal should focus on the project to be carried out at the Nordic Africa Institute and include the expected results. Length of the proposal: 5 pages (2 copies)
- copies of and/or references to the applicant’s publications; the two most important articles related to the research project to be pursued at the Nordic Africa Institute (2 copies of each)
- a signed letter of support from the applicant’s Head of Department or other senior scholar in the same field.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submission of applications
Applications can be sent by post/airmail or by email. Applications sent by email should contain only 1 copy of each document.
Applications sent by post/airmail should be addressed to
The Nordic Africa Institute
The Programme Officer
The African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme (AGRP)
P.O. Box 1703
SE-751 47 Uppsala, Sweden.
Applications sent by email should be addressed to
Inga-Britt Isaksson Faris, Programme Officer, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: On the subject line of your email, write: “APPLICATION African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship.” Applications sent by email should only contain 1 copy of each document.
Scanned versions of signed support letters can also be sent to the above email address.
Deadline for applications
The application should be in by 1 April 2013
Inga-Britt Isaksson Faris, email email@example.com, phone +46 18 471 52 47 (direct), or +46 18 471 52 00 (exchange).