Submission Deadline: May 30 2013
The Mandela Rhodes Foundation has established a Scholarship programme that offers educational opportunities to young Africans with scholastic, intellectual and leadership potential to study at suitable tertiary institutions and to create a network of principled future leaders, with the capacity and will to advance themselves and their countries.
The Scholarships aim to give expression to the legacy of academic excellence, leadership, education, reconciliation and entrepreneurship.
The Programme aims to bring into being a considerable network of leaders, with different educational expertise but similar leadership capacity, who support and inspire each other and who are distinguished by their ability to:
- facilitate individual and social development;-
- promote peace and reconciliation;
- pursue fundamental human freedoms;
- promote prosperity, honour and respect for the continent and its people.
Value and Tenure:
The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship provides for full funding for up to a maximum of 2 years of postgraduate study(Honours and Master’s degrees only).
Please note that students intending to register for postgraduate diplomas are not eligible.
The Scholarship will cover tuition fees, accommodation and meals. In addition, a book allowance will be allocated and in some instances, a travel allowance can be applied for.
- Application is open to citizens of all African countries who are between the ages of 19 and 30 years.
- The Scholarships are intended to support individuals who will register for postgraduate study at a South African university or tertiary institution(Honours and Masters degrees only.
See *NOTE below Application Process:
Suitable candidates are required to:
Complete the application form which is available as part of the APPLICATION PACKAGE, from the Postgraduate Centre & Funding Office (PGC&FO) or download an electronic copy from :
Contact between three and five referees who would be willing to write reference letters for you. A template for the reference letter is available with the application form from the PGC&FO or from the above URL.
Please ensure that no less than three of your letters of reference are from academics who have taught you at university.
The following documentation MUST be included with your application:
- a certified copy of your identity document ,
- birth certificate,
- residency certificate or passport;
- a certified copy of your official academic transcript; and- a CV detailing your work experience,
- leadership positions, extramural activities , including details of activities within your community
- any honours or awards you have received.
The short listed candidates will be contacted by the (MRF) and will be required to submit an essay on a topic provided to them.
All short listed candidates will be informed shortly thereafter, by the Mandela Rhodes Foundation,as to the status of their application.
ELIGIBLE CANDIDATES ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT THE COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM ALONG WITH ALL THE REQUIRED SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION TO
THE DIRECTOR, POSTGRADUATE CENTRE & FUNDING OFFICE, UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO ENSURE THAT THE REQUIRED REFEREE REPORTS ARE SUBMITTED TO
THE DIRECTOR OF THE POSTGRADUATE CENTRE & FUNDING OFFICE BY THIS DATE.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT INELIGIBLE AND/OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED, AND WILL NOT BE PUT FORWARD FOR CONSIDERATION.