Application Deadline: 20th January 2023
The African Girls’ Code Initiative (AGCCI) was commissioned by UN Women, the African Union Commission (AUC) and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU). The AUC, through the AU Department of Health, Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development (HHSD), the Directorate of Women, Gender and Youth (WGYD) and the Department of Education, Science, Technology and Innovation (ESTI), is providing technical support to this initiative. The aim is to train and empower a minimum of 2000 girls aged 17 to 25 across Africa to become computer programmers, creators and designers, putting them on the right track to undertake studies and pursue careers in the information, communication and technology (ICT) sectors. The initiative has two key strategies, namely: coding camps and the integration of ICT, coding and gender into national curricula.
The first phase funded by the Government of Denmark was carried out between April 2018 and December 2019 and yielded good results. A second phase was launched in April 2022 by UN Women and its partners (AUC, ITU, ECA,UNESCO) with financial support from the Government of Belgium to ensure African girls benefit and contribute to the technological revolution in their countries and the continent.
UN Women Tanzania is launching a call for applications to qualified girls to participate the first coding camp to be held in Mbeya, from 27th February – 10th March 2023 The coding camps are coordinated in close collaboration with United Republic of Tanzania (Mainland and Zanzibar) through the:
• Ministry of Community Development, Gender, Women and Special Groups
• Ministry of Information, Communication and Information Technology
• Ministry of Education, Science and Technology
To qualify for the coding camps, applicants should:
• Be of Tanzania Nationality, female, and between the ages of 15-25 yrs
• Have an interest in science, technology, mathematics, ICT and related subjects
• Know how to use a computer and have basic knowledge of Computer Science
• Provide written permission from parents or legal guardians (for girls under the age of 18) to attend the coding camp. This must be done in the application form;
• Provide a valid phone number and email address;
• Provide a letter of submission with confirmation of availability over the duration of the training (the training camp is 10 days);
• Agree to become an AGCCI ambassador by sharing ideas and experiences in your school or community.
The Tanzania team responsible for implementing the African Girls Can CODE initiative will provide the participants selected following a selection process with the following:
- A 10-day training on coding as per the AGCCI manual
- Training materials
- Transport to and from the training venue in Dar es Salaam
- Laptops for use for the duration of and after the training
The Call for Application will be open until 20th January 2023 at 23.59 hrs (EAT) (Tanzanian Time).
• The application form is available here Application Form
• All applications MUST be submitted through email [email protected], with subject line REF: CFA No. UNW-ESA-TZA-2023- 001 on African Girls Can Code Initiatives Phase 2 Coding Camp.
• Only those short listed will be contacted for further screening and consideration.
• Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
• For more information, please email: [email protected], by 20th Jauary 2023 at 23.59 hrs
For More Information: