Application Deadline: 15 March 2014.
For young climate experts from developing countries interested in conducting a project in Germany and developing long-term collaborations
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is granting fellowships under the “International Climate Protection Fellowship Programme”. Up to fifteen International Climate Protection Fellowships are granted annually, funded under the Federal Environment Ministry’s (BMU) International Climate Initiative.
The fellowship allows future leaders to spend a year in Germany working on a research-based project of their own choice in the field of climate protection. Fellows are free to choose their own collaborative partners. Submit an application if you come from a non-European transition or developing country (see list of countries) and are involved with issues relating to the scientific, engineering, legal, economic or social aspects of climate change.
During a three-week introductory phase, you will have the opportunity to make contact with other climate protection fellows and visit companies, research institutions and cultural events in Germany. An intensive German-language course before you begin the fellowship will smooth your way into everyday life in Germany whilst a continuing education event lasting several days in the course of the fellowship will enable you to acquire not only practical knowledge of climate protection but also expertise in management.
Subject to final agreement to provide funding, 20 fellowships can be granted.
The International Climate Protection Fellowships allow successful candidates to spend a year in Germany conducting a research-related project they have chosen themselves. The programme is also designed to facilitate long-term contacts and collaborations with specialist colleagues in Germany.
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation aims to develop a personal relationship between the fellows from all countries and disciplines and Germany itself. This does not only happen in laboratories or libraries, but in everyday life: through contacts to the people of the country. In order to intensify these contacts, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation sponsors German courses for fellows. Events like the introductory seminar and study tour, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s annual meeting and the final meeting provide ample opportunities for fellows to network amongst themselves and to meet the Foundation’s staff personally.
- University degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) completed with outstanding results less than 12 years prior to the start of the fellowship
- Clearly visible leadership potential demonstrated by experience in a leadership position, or appropriate references
- Professional experience in a leadership role in the field of climate protection (at least 48 months at the time of application), or a further academic or professional qualification
- Very good knowledge of English and/or German
Additional requirements …
- Fellowship amount according to qualifications between 2,150 EUR and 2,750 EUR per month
- Two-month intensive language course in Germany
- Lump sum for travel expenses
- Allowances for visits by family members lasting at least three months
- Allowance of 800 EUR per month for the host in Germany for projects in the natural and engineering sciences, and 500 EUR per month for projects in the humanities and social sciences
Submit an application by 15 March 2014. The fellowship will begin on 1 March 2015.
All you need for your application
- Programme details (PDF)
- Form for the proposed host and confirmation of support (DOC)
- Form for letters of recommendation(DOC)
For More Information: