Application Deadline: May 31st 2019
The Mandela Institute for Development Studies (MINDS) has partnered with the Diamond Empowerment Fund (DEF) to establish the first in a series of Diamond Empowerment Fund Scholarships. The Fund was inspired by Nelson Mandela who encouraged DEF’s co-founders to tell the world the positive impact Africa’s diamonds were having in building healthy and educated communities on the continent.
MINDS’ unique approach develops Pan-African leaders who have a lived understanding and experience on the continent and who, in turn, can facilitate regional economic integration and social cohesion. DEF is interested in contributing to creating a pool of young leaders committed to playing a critical role in achieving a more integrated African economy.
The MINDS Diamond Empowerment Fund Scholarship will be earmarked for students from a diamond producing country whose chosen post-graduate study will be in a field that meets the needs for improving the quality of life for Africans. Preference will be given to students who want to gain critical skills in short supply on the continent, e.g. in STEM areas like biotechnology, robotics, aerospace, nanotechnology, neuroscience, artificial intelligence, ICT law, mining taxation, agriculture technology, etc.
Applications are invited from qualifying students in eligible countries, namely Angola, Botswana, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Liberia, Namibia, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tanzania and Zimbabwe.
MINDS Scholarships are awarded to meritorious applicants following a rigorous selection process. To be considered for a MINDS Scholarship, you must:
- Be a national of an African country, residing in any African country
- Have been formally accepted by one or more MINDS preferred institution/s outside of your country of citizenship and/ or residency
- Have been formally accepted by one or more MINDS preferred institution/s to pursue postgraduate studies within the following year
- Have obtained at least 70% in each subject/ course in the last two completed years of study
- Produce evidence of demonstrated leadership abilities or potential guided by the questions/ requirements set out in the application form
- Submit a complete online application form (see below) with the required supporting documentation.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the MINDS Diamond Empowerment Fund Scholarship