Application Deadline: March 18th, 2022
The Professional Fellows Program (PFP) for economic empowerment in the Middle East and North Africa is a two-way exchange program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and designed to promote mutual understanding, enhance leadership and professional skills, and build lasting, sustainable partnerships between mid-level emerging leaders committed to strengthening their communities through social entrepreneurship and workforce development. Our program takes place in Virginia and Washington D.C. with Fellowship placements in either Austin Texas or Washington DC.
Covid Contingencies: In response to the ongoing global pandemic, PFP may be offered as a hybrid program with virtual activities leading up to a U.S.-based exchange. Please note: the in-person, U.S.-based exchange is contingent upon favorable travel conditions. In the event there are travel restrictions, or others factors which could adversely impact the health, safety and welfare of program participants, host organizations, and local communities, PFP may postpone or pivot the planned in-person U.S.-based exchange to virtual programming. PFP will follow available national and local public health guidance when making decisions related to program activities.
- This program is designed for people with strong leadership skills who are early- to mid-career professionals and who are committed to making a lasting positive impact in their communities.
- Entrepreneurs and Social Innovators.
- Small & medium business Owners and Managers who are investing in innovative socially conscious products and programs.
- Individuals working in Civil Society/NGOs working on youth workforce training and development, increasing the role of marginalized populations in the economy, building financial literacy, training in technology use and IT development, and other efforts around economic empowerment.
- Individuals working in University incubators, accelerators, and job-readiness programs, and programs focusing on business development, financial literacy, sustainable tourism, or economic development.
- Individuals working in Government Agencies/Ministries, national policy offices, think-tanks, and offices working to increase the presence of underrepresented citizens in the economy.
This is a 42 day program in the U.S.A | September 24- November 4, 2022 | Spring Program 2023: May 1-June 8, 2023
- If you are selected as a finalist, Legacy International and the US Department of State will cover all costs associated with your international travel, visa, and basic living costs in the U.S.
- Professional Fellows Congress: Both the fall 2022 and spring 2023 programs will conclude with a 3-day « Professional Fellows Congress » in Washington, DC. This event will bring together approximately 350 fellows from around the world. Fellows will have the opportunity to build relationships with fellows from dozens of countries and learn the tools of effective leadership.
- Follow-on Project Development: Each fellow will spend time developing an idea for a follow-on project to be implemented upon returning home. Fellows will participate in a number of training sessions to learn project design skills and write a project proposal during their time in the US.
- Outbound Program: US delegates who acted as hosts or mentors during the US immersion segment will be selected to travel to Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, or Tunisia to co-lead training seminars and gain first-hand knowledge of the country and its people. Fellows will assist in planning the US Delegation’s visit and hosting them.
Over the course of 6 weeks, 32 fellows from Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, and Tunisia will participate in a week-long Professional Development Training with a University Partner, complete a four-week professional fellowship in Washington D.C. or Austin Texas and attend the Professional Fellows Congress. By the close of the program, fellows will have designed and developed a proposal for a follow-on project to be carried out upon return home. The program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the PFP) 2022 for Economic Empowerment, Middle East and North Africa