Application Deadline: February 15th 2017
The Knight-Bagehot Fellowship in Economics and Business Journalism offers qualified journalists the opportunity to enhance their understanding and knowledge of business, economics and finance in a yearlong, full-time program administered by the Journalism School. Fellows take courses at Columbia’s graduate schools of journalism, business, law and international affairs; participate in off-the-record seminars and dinner meetings with corporate executives, economists and academics; and attend briefings and field trips to New York-based media companies and financial institutions.
In scope and depth, it is the most comprehensive business journalism fellowship in the country. Eligible Knight-Bagehot fellows (those with a B.A. degree from an accredited college) may qualify for a Master of Arts degree in journalism upon completion of this rigorous program.
- The fellowship is open to full-time editorial employees of newspapers, magazines, wire services, digital media and broadcast news organizations as well as to freelance journalists.
- Applicants must have at least four years of experience.
- There are no academic prerequisites.
- The affiliation of applicants is not a factor in the selection process.
- Journalists from nationally known organizations are not given preference over those from smaller regional media.
- The program runs during Columbia’s academic year from August through May and accepts up to 10 fellows each year.
- Each Fellow receives free tuition plus a stipend to offset living expenses in New York City. For the 2017-2018 academic year, a stipend of $60,000 will be granted to each fellow. Housing is available in a Columbia affiliated facility.
The core of the Knight-Bagehot curriculum consists of courses offered by Columbia University. Beginning with the 2017-2018 academic year, Knight-Bagehot fellows will be allowed to choose from two academic tracks: the Certificate in Economics and Business Journalism or the Master of Arts in Journalism.
- Knight-Bagehot are now accepting applications for the 2017-2018 academic year. The application deadline is Feb. 15, 2017.
- To apply, you must create an account through our online system in order to submit the application and required materials.
- Please remember to write down your username and password to access your application at a later time.
For More Information: