Submission Deadline:3rd January 2021
This is Gender, the global photography competition hosted by Global Health 50/50, is back. Now in its second year, This is Gender invite photographers to share their vision of what gender looks like and to submit photographs that explore the diverse ways in which gender norms – rigid and fluid, traditional and progressive – are lived and subverted by men, women and non-binary people.
The COVID-19 pandemic has held a mirror up to society and revealed our relationship to our environments, each other and the systems in which we live. In turn, the pandemic has exposed existing social fractures and inequalities. As borders have closed and our gaze has turned inward, the pandemic has both exasperated pervasive and restrictive notions of gender roles and catalysed transformations in the gendered landscape.
At this moment of global upheaval, lives and society at large are being impacted and changed in diverse and gendered ways. It’s now more important than ever to produce and distribute imagery that reflects the diverse realities of gender. We encourage photographers to contribute to expanding the imagery associated with the concept of gender by exploring, for example:
- How the landscape of work – professional, domestic, care or otherwise – is gendered
- How gender intersects with health and wellbeing
- How politics and commercial industries exploit gender roles and how they are challenged
- How gender intersects with other aspects of identities and vulnerabilities
We are particularly interested, but not exclusively, in works that contemplate these topics in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
All photographic and photojournalistic forms are welcome and photographers from low- and middle-income communities and countries are particularly encouraged to participate. Winners will be decided by a panel of international experts in photography, visual culture, gender and global health.
- £500 cash prize for first place and cash prizes available for secondary category awards.
- Global exposure across our platform, media partnerships and through our world-recognised annual report.
- Opportunity to have your work featured in a curated exhibition (online if COVID-19 dicatates).
- Opportunity to join our global photographer database and connect with organisations and individuals seeking imagery to complement their work in global health and development.
- GH5050 certificate for outstanding depiction of gender.
The judging panel of international experts will assess the works based on two separate categories.
Visual merit and creativity:
- Strong visual impact
- Thoughtful, considered composition and framing
- Use of colour (or intentional lack of colour) and creativity
Storytelling and perspective:
- Clear link to gender and/or health
- Strong story behind the image
- Unique perspective on the subject
How to enter
Each contestant may submit no more than two images per submission (entrants can submit up to three times) accompanied by the following elements:
- A brief narrative on the significance of the image to the themes of the photo contest
- Where and when the photo was taken
- Short artist biography
- Acceptance of these Terms and Conditions
Please read the terms and conditions in the link carefully before completing the entry.
Submissions Close: 3rd January 2021
For More Information: