Application Deadline: 1 October 2019
The TWAS Sustainability Visiting Expert programme supports visits of internationally renowned scientists to institutions located in developing countries, especially those located in the Least Developed Countries (LDCs).
The objective of the programme is to provide institutions and research groups in developing countries, especially those with limited outside contacts, with the opportunity to establish long-term links with world leaders in science and so help develop capacity-building in their country.
- Under the programme, prospective host institutions can invite internationally renowned experts in areas of science other than mathematics and physics to collaborate in research and training. The visiting expert will be expected to interact closely with faculty and students of the host institution with the aim of strengthening its existing activities and/or assisting in the establishment of new lines of research. The visiting expert could also deliver lectures and seminars to research students, supervise students, conduct research and discuss future collaborative partnerships.
- The visit should have a minimum stay of two weeks at the host institution. Applications to renew successful visits will be considered in the following year(s). TWAS will provide the Visiting Expert with the most direct economy class travel (round-trip) while the host institution is expected to cover local expenses.
- On completion of the visit, the visiting expert and the host institution should provide comprehensive reports outlining the impact the visit has had on the educational and research programmes of the host institution.
As the programme is striving towards providing equal opportunities, nominations of women will be particularly welcomed. Only persons who have attained international recognition in their fields of science will be considered for support under this programme.
Submitting your application
Institutions wishing to be considered for this programme must complete the online application form by clicking on the ‘Apply now’ button at the bottom of this page. While filling in the online application, the following documentation needs to be uploaded:
- brief CV of the Visiting Expert (maximum 10 pages) and list of publications;
- letter from the Visiting Expert detailing the research and teaching programme with which he/she could assist at the host institute (template available in the online form);
- supporting statement from the head of the host institution (template available in the online form).
Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: the head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
Contact email: [email protected]
For More Information: