Application Deadline: 11 April 2022.
The UNEP Champions of the Earth award honours individuals, groups, and organizations whose actions have a transformative impact on the environment. The UN’s highest environmental honour – to recognize outstanding leaders from government, civil society and the private sector for their transformative impact on the environment.
To highlight the importance of ecosystem restoration, the 2022 call especially encourages the nomination of people and organisations who have contributed to preventing, halting and reversing the degradation of ecosystems worldwide. Almost one year since the launch of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration, there has never been a more urgent need to revive damaged ecosystems than now. The healthier our ecosystems are, the healthier the planet – and its people.
Since its inauguration in 2005, the award has shone a spotlight on leaders who have dedicated their lives to working for a healthier, more just and more sustainable planet. A total of 106 laureates, ranging from heads of state and community activists to captains of industry and pioneering scientists, have been honoured as Champions of the Earth.
- Individuals, government entities, groups and organisation may be nominated under the categories of Policy Leadership, Inspiration and Action, Entrepreneurial Vision, and Science and Innovation.
- Nominations are open to everyone.
In 2022, nominations for Champions of the Earth are especially encouraged of individuals and organisations who have helped prevent, halt, and reverse the degradation of ecosystems worldwide. We are looking for inspirational leaders that are leading the charge in action for:
- Climate – Strengthening ecosystem resilience and halting emissions.
- Nature – Protecting what we have and restoring what we’ve lost.
- Pollution – Tackling waste and pollutants threatening human and ecosystem health.
For more information, please contact:
Keishamaza Rukikaire, Head of News & Media, UN Environment Programme
Moses Osani, Media Officer, UN Environment Programme
Visit the Official Webpage of the UN Environment Young Champions of the Earth Prize 2022