Application Deadline: 31 March 2018, at 23:59 CET (Bahrain).
World Heritage Young Professionals Forum 2018 ‘Protecting Heritage in an Ever-Changing World’ : As an integral part of the 42nd session of the World Heritage Committee, and in the framework of the UNESCO World Heritage Education Programme, the Bahrain Authority for Culture and Antiquities will host the World Heritage Young Professionals Forum 2018 under the theme of ‘Protecting Heritage in an Ever-Changing World’ from 17 to 26 June 2018 in Manama (Bahrain).
The Forum aims to transmit the values of World Heritage, highlighting the potential that World Heritage education may have for facilitating sustainable development. It is addressed to young professionals who will be invited to reflect upon the complexity of preserving heritage in a constantly evolving world with the help of international experts.
OBJECTIVES AND EXPECTED OUTCOMES
Having Bahrain and the urban property components of the World Heritage Site of Pearling, Testimony of an Island Economy, as the case study, the participants will be invited to reflect upon the complexity of preserving heritage in a constantly evolving world with the help of local and foreign experts, progressively adding elements of reflexion, day by day.
The different topics which will be presented and considered during the Forum are:
- History, local and global, and how heritage is affected
- People, native, migrants of a few generations back, foreigners, and the influence on each other
- Land, deeply altered by human actions
- Materials, adapting, evolving, transforming, disappearing, addition of new ones
- The near future, threats and opportunities
- Difficulties and prospects of the changes in heritage protection in our days
- Awareness about heritage protection and interaction with the local community
- The World Heritage Convention towards its 50th anniversary
- Simulation of the World Heritage Committee
- Declaration of World Heritage Young Professionals Forum 2018
- Participants of the Youth Forum will come from different heritage fields and countries and must be specifically interested in World Heritage.
- Thirty participants will be selected to take part in this year’s forum taking into account gender equality and regional representation.
- Applications can be sent through the UNESCO National Commissions or other respective governmental institutions, or directly from the applicants to the organizer.
EDUCATIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
Applicants should be recent young professionals between the ages of 23 to 30 with at least one year experience in the field of either Cultural or Natural heritage. We accept a wide range of backgrounds including but not limited to archaeology, architecture, conservation, urban planning & regeneration, restoration, art history, lawyers, heritage managers.
The working language of the Forum is English. A good knowledge of English is essential, for the benefit of the individual participants and the development of the forum.
Basic computer skills will be required to collaborate to draft the final declaration and a small exhibition about the Forum itself.
Handwork and visits requires a good physical condition due to the climate of the region.
- All travel and accommodation costs for the selected participants will be covered by the Kingdom of Bahrain- for the duration of the forum.
- The organizers will assist in the travel preparations (including visas) and bookings.
- Candidates who wish to apply for participation in the World Heritage Young Professionals Forum should fill in and submit the online application form. Please visit World Heritage Young Professionals Forum 2018 – Call for Applications.
- Please note that candidates should attach their CV, as well as a document of endorsement signed by a supervisor and their own signature (e.g. professional supervisor, university professor etc.).
- Please make sure that you include all the required information in the application form and you attach the requested documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you have any questions about the Forum or if you encounter any difficulties with the application process, kindly contact the Bahrain Authority for Culture and Antiquities at the following email [email protected]
For More Information: