Application Deadline: October 15th 2018
The University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars (UMAPS) Program brings early career faculty from African universities to Ann Arbor, Michigan for residencies that begin in late August, generally lasting up to six months. Scholars are paired with a faculty mentor during their stay and have full access to the University of Michigan’s resources to further their work on a research project, an academic degree, publications, grant proposal, or other relevant activity. The program supports the development of the next generation of African scholars by integrating them into international academic networks, and promotes U-M’s international commitment to research and teaching collaborations across diverse disciplines, from engineering to literature to economics.
UMAPS accepts direct applications from faculty members of colleges or universities in Ethiopia, Ghana, Liberia, South Africa, and Uganda.
Faculty members of colleges and universities in all other African countries cannot apply directly to the UMAPS program without first being nominated and invited to apply by a U-M faculty member with whom they already have a pre-existing relationship.
*Previous recipients of the UMAPS fellowship are not eligible to apply. Preference will be given to applicants without extensive international experience outside the continent.
All applicants must:
- Be an early career faculty member who has taught in the higher education system for less than ten years, presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- Be able to demonstrate support from home institution with letter of recommendation from head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
- Be able to remain in residence from four to six months
Applicants outside of Ethiopia, Ghana, Liberia, South Africa, or Uganda must be nominated by a University of Michigan faculty member with whom the interested applicant already has a pre-existing/established relationship.
Application Checklist and Timeline
All applicants must:
- Complete the online application form » (This link can only be used by applicants from the following countries: Ethiopia, Ghana, Liberia, South Africa, or Uganda)
- Submit a curriculum vitae
- Submit a scholarly program/research proposal (not to exceed five pages)
Applications from a wide range of disciplines and schools are welcome; applications that align with the center’s initiatives—AHHI, ASRI, and STEM-Africa—are encouraged
- Provide complete name and contact information of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support
Those admitted to the UMAPS Program will receive:
- Four to six months residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, paired with a faculty mentor with full access to the university’s resources
- Round-trip airfare from their home country to Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Free hhousing, medical insurance, a research allowance, and a modest stipend to cover living (Important note: The UMAPS program is unable to accommodate spouses and/or dependents)
- Office/Laboratory space
- Opportunity to present research to the U-M community
For More Information: