Application Deadline: February 2, 2021
USIP’s Women Building Peace Award represents the Institute’s commitment to highlighting the vital role of individual women who are working every day in the pursuit of peace in fragile or conflict-affected countries or regions. The award honors a woman peacebuilder whose substantial and practical contribution to peace is an inspiration and guiding light for future women peacebuilders. The award recipient will receive $10,000 to be used at the recipient’s discretion. She will be recognized at a ceremony organized by the U.S. Institute of Peace (USIP) in Washington, D.C.
Because this award aims to celebrate the often overlooked yet essential role that women play in peacebuilding, USIP strongly encourages nominations of individual women who have not been previously recognized for their work in peacebuilding.
Before completing the nomination, please read the Guidance for Submitting Nominations document. This information provides useful instructions on the submission process and will help you determine if the nominee is eligible. The following eligibility requirements pertain to all nominees:
- The nominee must be a woman of at least 18 years of age.
- The nominee must be a non-U.S. citizen.
- The nominee must be working to build peace in a fragile or conflict-affected country or region.
- The nominee cannot be employed by USIP or have been affiliated with USIP as a contractor, grantee, fellow, or recipient of the Women Building Peace Award during the 24 months prior to the submission of this nomination application.
Criteria for selecting the awardee:
- Commitment to Peace: A woman whose work exemplifies a commitment to peace by preventing or resolving conflict nonviolently in a fragile or conflict-affected country or region.
- Exceptional Leadership: A woman who exemplifies exceptional leadership through her vision and innovation and has earned the respect of her community in the pursuit of peace.
- Outstanding Practitioner: A woman who engages as a peacebuilding practitioner in an inclusive and participatory manner with members of local, national, or international communities.
- Substantial Impact: A woman whose peacebuilding work has led to tangible or demonstrable results.
- The nomination process opens on December 1, 2020.
- All nominators must register for a FLUXX account by 2:00pm ET on Wednesday, January 13, 2021.
- All completed nominations must be received by 2:00pm ET on Tuesday, February 2, 2021.Late nomination applications will not be considered.
- Finalists for the 2021 Women Building Peace Award will be announced in summer 2021.
- The sole 2021 Women Building Peace Award recipient will be announced and recognized at a ceremony organized by USIP in fall 2021.
For More Information: