Application Deadline: September 14th 2018
The Western Cape Government (WCG) Department of Transport and Public Works is inviting suitably qualified applicants residing in the Cape Metro to apply for trade learnership training opportunities in the Construction Industry. Learnerships entail: Undergoing theoretical and practical training at a public or private TVET college; working on a building site; applying health and safety regulations; maintaining work areas; and undertaking administrative tasks.
The Department of Transport and Public Works invites South Africans interested in careers in the following construction fields to apply for these exciting training opportunities:
- Masonry (bricklaying)
- Electrical wiring
The Learnership Training in the Construction Industry initiative forms part of our National Youth Service (NYS) Programme. NYS gives the following groups the chance to develop the necessary skills:
- Unemployed youth in the technical trade industry with no work experience, and
- people working in the technical trade industry with work experience but no trade certification.
• Between 18 and 34 years old • Resident of South Africa •
Plumbing Learnership applications: Grade 10 or TVET [technical vocational and educational
training] equivalent with a pass in Mathematics Literacy • Masonry Learnership applications:
Grade 10 or TVET equivalent with a pass in Mathematics Literacy. • Electrical Wiring
Learnership applications: Grade 11 or TVET equivalent with a pass in Mathematics Literacy.
• Carpentry Learnership applications: Grade 10 or TVET equivalent with a pass in
• Applicants must enjoy good health and be willing to undergo a medical and substance
• Applicants must be willing to participate in an interview, and undergo numeracy, literacy
and interest testing.
• Successful applicants will be required to work on a construction site as part of the
• Successful applicants must be willing to travel and work at various building sites in the
• Successful applicants will be required to sign a 12-month Learnership Agreement.
- R2 000 per month for the duration of the Learnership Agreement.
Please read the requirements for specific learnerships in each advert before applying.
- Application forms are available from your local library, Thusong Centre or E-Centre.
- Applicants must clearly indicate the learnership being applied for and the reference code.
- Applications must include a CV (no more than 4 pages) together with certified copies of ID and highest education certificate. Only fully completed application forms with all required documentation will be considered.
Applications can be posted to: National Youth Service Learnerships: Phase 11, Department
of Transport and Public Works, Skills Development Unit, Private Bag 9078, Cape Town,
8000 or it can be hand delivered at the
Western Cape Government Contact Centre,
9 Wale Street, Cape Town.
0860 142 142
Nosizwe Wakeni, tel. 021 483 4300 or
Diana Bowie, tel. 021 483 2953
For More Information:
Visit the Webpage of the WCG 2018 Learnership Training in the Construction Industry Initiative