Application Deadline: 31st August 2015
The Next Einstein Forum (NEF) is working to build a targeted team of 54 young Ambassadors, one from each African country, to participate in the NEF Global Gathering 2016, champion African science, technology, engineering and math globally and become part of the growing NEF community.
The first NEF Global Gathering will be hosted by H.E. President Macky Sall in Dakar, Senegal from the 8-10 March, 2016. The three-day NEF Global Gathering will showcase often underreported scientific progress in Africa, holding up the NEF Fellows as examples of the exceptional scientific potential and progress across Africa.
NEF Country Ambassadors Benefits
- Represent your country at NEF events
- Attend the prestigious, invitation-only NEF Global Gathering with all costs covered. The event will include Nobel Prize winners, heads of state and representatives from leading global corporations.
- Participate in interviews, panels and the showcasing of research, NEF work and articles on science, social science and technology, among other events during/following the NEF Global Gathering.
- Have the opportunity to network with other experts and NEF Fellows, as well as top scientists, social scientists and technology leaders from around the world
- Influence science, social science and technology policy through NEF articles and documents and share their own work.
- Pitch your own projects and ideas to high profile NEF members and contribute to the establishment of a positive global view of science in Africa
- 42 years of age or less as of 31 December, 2015
- Resident of an African country
- A history of leadership and engagement in the community
- Advanced studies or professional certificates, personal projects, demonstrated entrepreneurial achievements and similar – a Doctorate is not required
- Applicants are encouraged from all fields of science, including basic sciences, STEM, health and social science fields
- Demonstrated passion for raising Africa’s profile in science and/or social science
- An active profile in the community of work/study and/or online including social media
- Able to clearly communicate to an audience in English or French
NEF Country Ambassadors Responsibilities
- Act as NEF’s ambassador, representing one’s own country at NEF events.
- Write original content and cross-post content for the NEF, including but not limited to blog articles, news updates on science in one’s local community, profiles of scientists in one’s community, and other activities to promote the NEF
- Actively promote the NEF to social media followers and regularly contribute ideas to the NEF team about ways to keep the online community informed and interested in the NEF
- Ambassadors should expect to spend a total of between 1 to 2 hours per week writing, editing, posting updates, news and articles related to science in Africa and the NEF, and conversing with NEF Fellows and the scientific community at large. The hours may increase during the week of the Global Gathering event
- Make presentations to students, audiences, special classes and events about the NEF and science in Africa
- Other responsibilities suggested and recommended by the Ambassadors
- Selection of ambassadors from individual countries will be based on merit and upon submission of a written application, CV and two-minute video answering the personal statement questions below.
- Qualification will be based on academic and leadership potential. Examples of notable achievements to be considered in the selection of a NEF Ambassador include:
- Membership in professional associations/bodies
- Leadership role in projects/activities/communities
- Entrepreneurial activities
- Articles/blogs/applications published
- Prizes and other awards in high ranking bodies, academies, communities etc.
- The type and number of invited talks at national, regional and international conferences
- Past academic achievements and involvements
- Volunteer and internship experience
- The personal statement should address the following two questions:
- What I want to learn from and share at the NEF Global Gathering?
- What are at least three strategies I will use to share this knowledge with at least 20,000 people when I return to my country?
- The selection will be done by a panel of eminent scientists including members of the NEF Scientific Programme Committee.
- The selection process will aim for the following:
- At least 40 percent of selected NEF Ambassadors are women
- At most one NEF Ambassador from each African country
- Download the Application Form
- For you application to be considered, please send your completed application with all requested information and requirements before midnight GMT 31 August 2015 to [email protected]
- Please make sure your CV is attached to the end of your application form in ONE document. The document should be in PDF format and labeled CountryofCitizenship – Lastname, Firstname Middlename.
- For example, Jane Lyon Doe from Mauritius would label her final PDF file as Mauritius – Doe, Jane Lyon. In addition, the video you submit should be in MP4 format. You can use http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp4 or other online converters to convert the file. Please make sure your video is no more than 8 MB. Applications that do not follow this format and naming convention will not be accepted.
For More Information: